RAID 6 Reed Solomon Samples Needed!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'm having a programmer work on a project to help determine parity rotation and stripe size on reed solomon RAID 6 arrays, however I'll need a few samples to send the programmer for testing purposes. All I need is a small sample pulled from the same LBA region of each member disk, perhaps of 1MB in size.

Anyone have a RAID 6 handy you can pull this sort of samples from?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if it's one I'll be making publicly available, but likely yes (assuming one of these freelance programmers can make the app work). Trying to come up with a simplified way to determine settings in RAID 6 arrays that use RS. A simple program to determine which block is the RS out of the sectors can be used in several key places to figure out block size, drive order and parity rotation. I figure if I had such a tool I could do RAID 6 arrays in about 1/5 the time it normally takes.

I might just keep the software to myself and offer a service to determine the settings for other labs. Though I suppose I might be convinced to share it on a very limited basis.

Anyway, I was able to determine that my RAID 6 in my PC-3000 machine is a Reed Solomon. So the next slow period I get I can pull some values from it to play with.