Jared
Forum Admin

RAID 6 Reed Solomon Samples Needed!

Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:40 pm

I'm having a programmer work on a project to help determine parity rotation and stripe size on reed solomon RAID 6 arrays, however I'll need a few samples to send the programmer for testing purposes. All I need is a small sample pulled from the same LBA region of each member disk, perhaps of 1MB in size.

Anyone have a RAID 6 handy you can pull this sort of samples from?

Amarbir[CDR-Labs]
Data Recovery Pro

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:35 pm

Jared ,
Are You Making a software Tool :o
Regards
Amarbir S Dhillon ,CDR Labs [ Chandigarh ,India ]
DataRecovery - The Affordable Way In India
Youtube Channel -> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbIeLFJWxTux8TQu_QSCsgQ?view_as=subscriber

Jared
Forum Admin

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:25 pm

Not sure if it's one I'll be making publicly available, but likely yes (assuming one of these freelance programmers can make the app work). Trying to come up with a simplified way to determine settings in RAID 6 arrays that use RS. A simple program to determine which block is the RS out of the sectors can be used in several key places to figure out block size, drive order and parity rotation. I figure if I had such a tool I could do RAID 6 arrays in about 1/5 the time it normally takes.

I might just keep the software to myself and offer a service to determine the settings for other labs. Though I suppose I might be convinced to share it on a very limited basis.

Anyway, I was able to determine that my RAID 6 in my PC-3000 machine is a Reed Solomon. So the next slow period I get I can pull some values from it to play with.

Return to “RAID Data Recovery Forum”