RAID 5, 6 or 10 best for my DAS

slingshot

I was going to utilise a RAID 10 setup on my new Rocketstor DAS but I though I might ask you guys what you would consider the better to use ?

This will be used for storing the customers data, post imaging, and before moving to clients new media.

Thanks in advance

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I personally use RAID 6 for this purpose. I opted for it because with 24 drives I lose a lot less to overhead than I would using RAID 10. But, you've got to have a good RAID controller or it'll be slower.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
slingshot":396ipybu said:
Mines only a baby http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series-rs6414ts-overview.htm

I don't know how highpoint compare to Areca ?

I would imagine RAID 6 not to be that effective with just 4 disks LoL

Probably better sticking with RAID 10 as that gives me faster reads and writes and redundancy.
With only 4 disks, it's better to stick with RAID 10 I suppose, unless you're planning to expand in the future.

I chose Areca because they generally show the highest benchmarks for RAID 6 which I was planning to use from the start. A lost of RAID cards will see a significant slowdown going from RAID 5 or 10 to 6 due to the extra math involved crunching Reed Solomon. Areca cards do all the math at a base hardware level and have minimal slowdown from RAID 5 to 6.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

slingshot

At some point I hope to upgrade the stack to at least 8 disks and fool around with some different configurations but thats for next year. I did look at the Areca DAS RAID servers but they are out of my budget range for now.

RAID 10 is my favourite, used it in tons of applications for many many years, always served me well.
(although I would like to set a RAID 50 up and see how that runs)

Thanks Jared :D

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Keep in mind too that you should use good quality drives. I use all HGST SAS drives, so they can take the constant beating that we put them under each week. Cheap SATA drives probably won't fare as well and might become a nightmare of constantly changing disks.