RAID-0 suddenly Crushed !!

Mohammednt0

Good Day,

i'm Mohammed, i have been visiting this site from time to time , i don't lie if i said i have read every topic in this forum (For Real ),
but now i decided to signup to be part f this forum, also i have contact Mr. Jared Palmer for a few times, asking him about data recovery, i found him very helpful, he tries to explain the basics of data recovery to anyone asking for help,

if you are bored you can skip the below and read the direct questions that are at the end of this thread

i have ORICO 3549U3RF 4 Bays Raid enclosure (NAS & DAS at the same time )
i don't know what happened suddenly my Raid-0 Partition become not accessible and error message pop-up says

"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. "

i went to "Disk Management" i found that the Raid-0 Partition split into 2 Partitions !!! one Healthy and the other one marked as "unknown" !!!
then suddenly i was able to access it, but most of the files are gone !!!, i used check disk function it found some errors and it fixed them but my files are still not recovered !!!

i know that:

- it's not Permission / Security issues ,
- i tried to access to my raid-0 through Linux OS Using a Live Session , it did not work i was not able to access it
- there is no bad sectors found, no strange sounds the drive Is not physically Damaged ,
- No Virus/malware infection

so i came to conclusion, it must be the MFT !!. Somehow it got corrupted because of the bad Raid Hardware, it seems that my (ORICO 3549U3RF 4 Bays Raid enclosure) is not good as i thought the quality of it is bad!!,

so in order to recover the data from the corrupted MFT i used the powerful r-studio software and it was able to read the corrupted MFT and reconstruct all the files again in seconds , then my face went like :mrgreen: , now im going to recover my data i hope every thing goes well

q.1 why the partition split into 2 partitions !? if the MFT is corrupted will this happen ?!

q.2 the most important question is,, what is the best 8-bays/4-bays enclosure that comes with Raid Function ???? what do you advice me to buy !? i want to avoid any risk and buy the correct enclosure from the first time

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I've never heard of an MFT suddenly splitting itself into two partitions. Are you sure the other one wasn't just a small system partition such as an EFI partition? Perhaps somehow the MFT was overwritten by something being cloned/copied to the drive. I know sometimes that happens when people select the wrong drive doing something like setting up a bootable USB drive.

As to your second question...I'm partial to Areca's RAID products, but most (other than their Thunderbolt ones) require that the RAID card is installed into the computer and uses and SFF cable.

Mohammednt0

i'm very sure that the "unknown" partition was 16 TB and the healthy one was like 6 TB, unfortunately i did not take a pic for it , i used check disk function and it fix them back to one !! , but mos of my files disappear

regarding Areca's RAID products im going to search about them, but do you have any other suggestions that do not require RAID card to be installed?

Mohammednt0

Jared":3tgcu5yk said:
Perhaps somehow the MFT was overwritten by something being cloned/copied to the drive. I know sometimes that happens when people select the wrong drive doing something like setting up a bootable USB drive.

i wasn't doing anything like that, its just very strange the Raid-0 Partition suddenly become 2 partitions one marked healthy and the other one marked unknown, and most of my files disappear

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Mohammednt0":28zt5rm0 said:
[post]10511[/post] do you have any other suggestions that do not require RAID card to be installed?

What interface are you looking for? Do you have Thunderbolt?

Mohammednt0

USB 3.1 Gen. 2 , i don't have Thunderbolt,

but i know that some HDD RAID enclosures comes with both interfaces thunderbolt & usb 3.1 i'm looking for something like that, so i need the experts opinion here in order to avoid any risk (Faulty HDD Enclosure) and buy the correct enclosure from the first time