Freakazoid
Data Recovery Novice

qwstion about Westen digital platter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:46 pm

Probably a stupid question, but I try anyway. What type of screwdriver is needed too open the screws that are on the "plate lock". I tested with torx6-8 some screws getting good while some getting damage / round. It looks like torx in my eyes. This is a WD30EZRX-00MMMB0

Blizzard
Experienced DR Tech

Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:49 am

Freakazoid wrote:Probably a stupid question, but I try anyway. What type of screwdriver is needed too open the screws that are on the "plate lock". I tested with torx6-8 some screws getting good while some getting damage / round. It looks like torx in my eyes. This is a WD30EZRX-00MMMB0
It should be a T7. I suspect you were using a T6 which would get the loose screws but strip on the difficult screws.
If your T8 fits then it's worn out :)

Freakazoid
Data Recovery Novice

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:58 am

Blizzard wrote:Source of the post
Freakazoid wrote:Probably a stupid question, but I try anyway. What type of screwdriver is needed too open the screws that are on the "plate lock". I tested with torx6-8 some screws getting good while some getting damage / round. It looks like torx in my eyes. This is a WD30EZRX-00MMMB0
It should be a T7. I suspect you were using a T6 which would get the loose screws but strip on the difficult screws.
If your T8 fits then it's worn out :)

Hello. I did try with T7 but maybe my one was bad. i have bought a new today and will try again

Jared
Forum Admin

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:34 am

The quality of your torx drivers can make a lot of difference in the small sizes. I've found many cheap sets to be incorrectly sized and can cause a lot of damage.

This is a set I picked up recently that I really like and seems to be great quality: https://www.amazon.com/iFixit-IF145-299 ... 0189YWOIO/

Blizzard
Experienced DR Tech

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:01 am

Jared wrote:The quality of your torx drivers can make a lot of difference in the small sizes. I've found many cheap sets to be incorrectly sized and can cause a lot of damage.
I agree, it's important to buy quality tools. I use Felo and Wiha brand for Torx drivers.

Freakazoid
Data Recovery Novice

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:26 pm

Jared wrote:Source of the post The quality of your torx drivers can make a lot of difference in the small sizes. I've found many cheap sets to be incorrectly sized and can cause a lot of damage.

This is a set I picked up recently that I really like and seems to be great quality: https://www.amazon.com/iFixit-IF145-299 ... 0189YWOIO/

it s the same that i use :D

Jared
Forum Admin

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:06 pm

Is it the same iFixit brand though? There are some crummy knockoffs that look similar.

Freakazoid
Data Recovery Novice

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:37 am

Jared wrote:Source of the post Is it the same iFixit brand though? There are some crummy knockoffs that look similar.

Yes, it's iFixit's set. purchased at a local serious store.

Return to “General Discussion & Off Topic”