Psychic Data Recovery?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So this case fascinated me today. Seagate drive arrives for data recovery that was previously at Salvage Data who deemed it "unrecoverable" and cited "platter damage" as the reason.

However, on inspecting the drive, I find absolutely no indication that it was ever opened. The top label is un-tampered with, and even the small access ports under the PCB don't appear to have had the stickers removed.

Even more surprising, is that when I opened the drive, it really does have rings on the platters.

So how did they know w/o ever opening the drive? [glow=blue]Psychic technicians?[/glow] :lol:

I'm guessing maybe they diagnosed it solely by the sound (which wasn't that discernably different besides the clicking)??? I'm just surprised they'd close a case with that diagnostic w/o ever even looking inside the drive.

Or do they have some xray technology they're using now? :idea:

Jared":14fb5t8d said:
So this case fascinated me today. Seagate drive arrives for data recovery that was previously at Salvage Data who deemed it "unrecoverable" and cited "platter damage" as the reason.

However, on inspecting the drive, I find absolutely no indication that it was ever opened. The top label is un-tampered with, and even the small access ports under the PCB don't appear to have had the stickers removed.

Even more surprising, is that when I opened the drive, it really does have rings on the platters.

So how did they know w/o ever opening the drive? [glow=blue]Psychic technicians?[/glow] :lol:

I'm guessing maybe they diagnosed it solely by the sound (which wasn't that discernably different besides the clicking)??? I'm just surprised they'd close a case with that diagnostic w/o ever even looking inside the drive.

Or do they have some xray technology they're using now? :idea:

Hi,
They might have observe red the sound using a stethoscope