Physical / Logical Copying for D.E.

Hi, just got a RAID system in the lab. I plan to Clone all the drives using both DDIs and PC3Ks

Question is, when in Data Extractor, a popup comes up and says something along the line of
"Physical sector differs from Logical Sector, select Physical?" This has been coming up more
often. Question: Which one is the Clone, like DDI? Question 2: Why is there this choice?

On DDI, we only drop the LBA size to match the Patient drive and we're good to go.

So, MAIN QUESTION: Which do I choose on PC3K, Physical or Logical, in order to "match" the
images done on DDI??

lcoughey

In reality, it doesn't matter when just doing a straight clone. DDI just automatically goes to the 4096K sector size when it detects such a drive. Basically, by going to the larger sector size, each block will represent 8 physical sectors as 1 logical sector.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I always select physical size, just so when it's skipping bad sectors at a small jump size it's not landing back in the same sector that just failed to read (8 logical to one physical). But, beyond that I don't think it really matters.