PC-3000 in Windows 10

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone tried yet upgrading their system to Windows 10 running one of the new PC-3000 boards? I'm just curious to hear if there's any major issues before I even consider the upgrade.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I saw that. But, I'm more curious if anyone has firsthand experience using it in Windows 10 day to day operation. You know how even though a program might work in a certain OS, it can sometimes be buggier than in other OS. DRE seems to be a good example of that, technically works in 10 but is crazy glitchy.

jol

IMHO it's not worth the time/effort to try it
you know ho it works ?!
It works perfect on regular daily basis, but just when you need it urgent then the problems begin, and wasting time for nothing.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting it all set up in Window 7 like I have it. Image the SSD as a backup, try the update to see how it goes, then if I don't like it I can just restore to the image of Windows 7.

LarrySabo

From what I read, one encounters more problems with Win10 is it's installed as an upgrade instead of as a fresh install. You need to install it as an upgrade to register the system as qualified for the upgrade but after having done so, you can do a fresh install of Win10 on that system without problems.

jol

LarrySabo":19gy57to said:
You need to install it as an upgrade to register the system as qualified for the upgrade but after having done so, you can do a fresh install of Win10 on that system without problems.
not a good start at all

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, upgraded three machines in the office. Two seem OK, one was a BSOD nightmare but seems fine after a fresh install.

day1data

Im currently running PC3K on windows 10 64bit and it works fine also PC3K-Flash works fine on win10 too.
But as Larry said you first have to upgrade the windows 7 or 8 machine through the upgrade tool then your windows key is converted to a windows 10 key. Then you can use the upgrade tool again to create a win10 USB install disk so you can fresh install win10.

The part isn't really explained is the when fresh installing win10 you need to click skip on the enter your license key part. If you put in your old win7 or win8 key it won't accept it. Then once the install is done win10 will automatically activate your key even though you didn't put one in, in the setup process.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Luke from Recovery Force said he's also now running it with no issues so far. Perhaps I will do the update, but not before I image my OS SSD just in case.