Particle Counters

lcoughey

I wouldn't trust the .3 and .5 micron stickers on that unit. The Dylos 1100 splits those into small (1 micron) and large particles (5 microns) for the non pro version. The pro version is calibrated for small (.5 microns) and large (2.5 microns).

You are likely fine, just the same Larry, but I think you were duped.

lcoughey

Great letter. I'm most curious to hear how they respond.

It would seem rather remarkable for them to refurbish a unit and make it better than the pro unit. But, I guess we should give them the benefit of the doubt and hope for a favorable response.

LarrySabo

I've been told by Dylos that they have recently cleaned units for this reseller, and re-calibrated them for 0.3 and 0.5 microns, and also that this reseller is known to them and honest. :mrgreen:

LarrySabo

Yes, I still have that one. I thought Jared already made a comparison with his Dylos? I'll look for that post. If I can't find it, I'll do a test myself.

Edit: Here's Jared's post of his findings with the cheapo meter vs his Dylos 1100 Pro. IIRC, my Dylos measures 30-50 thousand particles per cubic foot in my lab, which is consistent with what the standard says is normal (35 thousand). It's hard to believe Jared's normal (unfitered) environment should read 1200 thousand particles per cubic foot vs my 30-50 thousand, especially given that my lab is in my unfinished basement! Without a calibrated particle counter for comparison, this exercise is turning into a mug's game. I'll do more testing.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
LarrySabo":njdoazap said:
Yes, I still have that one. I thought Jared already made a comparison with his Dylos? I'll look for that post. If I can't find it, I'll do a test myself.

Edit: Here's Jared's post of his findings with the cheapo meter vs his Dylos 1100 Pro. IIRC, my Dylos measures 30-50 thousand particles per cubic foot in my lab, which is consistent with what the standard says is normal (35 thousand). It's hard to believe Jared's normal (unfitered) environment should read 1200 thousand particles per cubic foot vs my 30-50 thousand, especially given that my lab is in my unfinished basement! Without a calibrated particle counter for comparison, this exercise is turning into a mug's game. I'll do more testing.

In unfiltered air in my office it's reading 1200 particles, not 1200 thousand.

LarrySabo

The Dylos read-out is in thousands of particles per cubic foot, so how can you tell it's 1200 particles? I assumed you meant it read 1200, which would be 1200 thousands, no?