Particle Counters

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
pclab":129n2yyh said:
Thanks for the testing.
It's the same one that Larry have?

Looks exactly the same, not sure if I bought it from the same ebay merchant, but I'm pretty sure it's the same cheap Chinese device.

Fraser Corrance

Hello folks!

I am looking for a recommendation on a particulate counter. I picked up a fairly basic laminar bench and I am about to start practicing on some of the drives in my pile of 300+ recycled drives that I have collected over the last year or so. I would like to make sure that the gear I pick up is going to be good but I also don't want to end up spending a lot of money on something that is way more than what I need.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Fraser Corrance
Progressive Tech

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Something like a Dylos DC1100 Pro is pretty affordable and still sensitive enough to let you know if your air is up to par. It's probably the most affordable true laser particle counter available.

It only goes down to 0.5 micron size. I know some guys like to monitor down to 0.3 micron size, but let's be honest... if you're reading 0 on the 0.5micron size you're not going to have any significant amount of 0.3 micron sized particles.

Fraser Corrance

Thanks Jared. I appreciate the advice and insight. I am just setting up a new lab with a laminar bench and all the goodies. It's not always easy to figure out the best things to purchase without spending a small fortune or getting something that is way more than way more than what I need. Kind of like driving a semi to the store for a gallon of milk. ;)

Are there any other items you would suggest picking up aside from the obvious, such as, gloves, head combs, screwdrivers, etc.?

Fraser

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Fraser Corrance":1flg40i4 said:
Thanks Jared. I appreciate the advice and insight. I am just setting up a new lab with a laminar bench and all the goodies. It's not always easy to figure out the best things to purchase without spending a small fortune or getting something that is way more than way more than what I need. Kind of like driving a semi to the store for a gallon of milk. ;)

Are there any other items you would suggest picking up aside from the obvious, such as, gloves, head combs, screwdrivers, etc.?

Fraser

The list of things to buy in never ending. There's just a million stupid things you need in this business. Macbook SSD adapters, clean room swabs, PC-3000, cables, cables and more cables, you name it.

Sam

Dylos does make a 0.3 micron one, they just don't advertise it for sale for some reason. I became aware of this about 1.5 years ago and at that time from what I can remember they wanted $350-$400 for it. Decent.

Fraser Corrance

Thanks for the feedback. I am trying to put together a proposal to build out a new lab at work and my boss wants me to include everything I can think of that we will need. I am trying to keep this practical and not give him a hart attack by requesting a budget that requires selling an kidney on the black market.

I really appreciate the advice.

Thanks

Fraser Corrance
Progressive Tech

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Whatever you think it'll cost, triple that number. Despite the shocking cost of things like PC-3000 that will initially catch your attention, it's actually the million little things you'll end up needing that'll really run up the bill.

Fortunately, there's much of it you can buy as you go along and as the need arises.

I think the first few years I was in business I ended up spending around 50-60K per year on tools, software, adapters, cable, and equipment. Only after about three years did that number start to drop down and I was actually able to keep some of the money.