Particle Counters

pclab

LarrySabo":1py6qarv said:
Maybe I should send my unit to Jared to run alongside his Dylos meter for comparison. That should be cheaper than $165 CAD! :lol:

That's a good idea !!!! hehehehe

pclab":1krpe1t2 said:
LarrySabo":1krpe1t2 said:
Maybe I should send my unit to Jared to run alongside his Dylos meter for comparison. That should be cheaper than $165 CAD! :lol:

That's a good idea !!!! hehehehe

Well,
And Why Not Jared Should Have ZERO Issue With This ,Plus He Can Enjoy a Colour Display :mrgreen:

LarrySabo

I just ran another test and varied the direction in which the counter was pointing to see how it affects results. The counter sensor seems to have a very wide field of view. If I have the counter pointing directly into the air flow, its readings vary a bit, as described earlier. If I raise it 30 degrees or so, its readings become very stable and lower. With the sneeze-guard raised and the counter pointing straight up, it senses particles outside the chamber. If I lower the sneeze-guard, it stops sensing the particles outside the chamber. Other than that, and its unknown accuracy and units of measure, it seems quite responsive. Here's a video that illustrates what I just described.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhca6kk9jgayu ... t.wmv?dl=0

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
LarrySabo":ilx33qz5 said:

Given the low price, I might just buy one myself and compare them. Even if it's not accurate enough to be used for certification testing, it's still likely to be good for warning if you've got a problem in the hood.

pclab

I'm willing to buy one too as long it does real readings (or the most approximated as possible).
That's why that a comparison with a professional reader it's important.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I received one of these today for testing and I'm not exactly impressed. It's nowhere near as sensitive as my Dylos DC1100 Pro is.

For example:

Open (not clean room) air of my office,
Dylos is reading somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200 0.5 micron particles and around 70-80 2.5 micron particles,
The cheap one is reading only about 15-20 2.5 micron particles sitting right next to it.

On a start-up of my clean hood from not running
The cheap one drops to 0 count on all particle sizes in about 5 or 6 seconds and stays there.
The Dylos continues logging particle hits for about another two full minutes before finally hitting zero particles and continued to log a hit of an occasional 0.5 size particle over the next several minutes before finally remaining at 0 on all particle counts. Even at the 2.5 micron size it was logging particle hits long after the cheap ebay one was at 0 particle count.

I don't think I'd trust it to be anywhere close to an accurate measurement. It's definitely a "home particle counter" as the listing implies.