Partial Access on Seagate

pclab

Hi

I got a Seagate 7200.12 ST3250318AS with a HostFis problem.
Drive was always bsy and no ID, but full access on terminal.
I executed a translator regen and a Smart reset too.
The drive was then ready and ID well, but now I got the partial access problem. I can't read after 160000 sectors.
I tried to recover translator, but the sectors checked are almost sequential. Can this be right?
At this rate, (the drive have 488 milion sectors), it will be ready next year ehhehehe
Any chance of speed this up? The client needs a database very urgently....
Thanks

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I think you just gotta let the forking finish. Last time I did one it ran overnight to get through a bad area, but then worked perfectly the next day.

pclab

Hi again

I'm trying to image using the read utility. This way, is slow, but I can read the data.
But another doubt: will the data be fine? or will it be corrupted?
Any experiences on this?
Thanks

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
The last time I regenerated a Seagate translator there were quite a few sequential bad sectors. Then it would jump ahead quite a ways and hit another area of sequential bad sectors. But after it finally finished the data was perfectly fine.

I'd just say make sure you have everything backed up so you can put it back if it fails.

pclab

All FW is backed up without errors. No problem with that.
I'm trying to image the drive with the Utility option (using MRT DE).
Let's see how it goes.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
lcoughey":3jk2raaw said:
How about with real PC3K DE?

+1 that. If you can read through terminal you should be able to scan the file system MFT and can at least nab some key files.

Unless of course there's bad sectors there, or if the drive capacity is still wrong (can you access higher LBA's?)