Partial Access on Seagate

pclab

Strange thing happened...

After 18h to image 6%, I stopped the drive to tweak it...
The drive went BSY again, so I performed a Translator regen and now all the sectors are OK.
Imaging at 60Mb/s eheheheh

irs

hi,
did you checked non resident Glist?
try V40 on level F3 T.
sometimes NOn res Glist corruption can cause partial access (it may happen using m0,2,2 ... or m0,6,2, .... commands), in case clean non res Glist with pc3000 or EDR tools.
Bye
Luca

Reading via MRT utility is very slow, as i remember it reads at 4KB/s.
It happened to me to that i got partial access after translator regen on some 7200.12 drives.
I solved by clearing G-List and NRG List completely, then i did again translator regen with partial access fix in Seagate Doctor (which is better then MRT for this).
Sometimes is not possible to clear completely NRG and G, in this case use m0,2,2,,,,,22 command in terminal to clear them completely, then check lists again with command V80 and V40 to be sure that have been cleared completely and regen again translators with partial access fix.

Sometimes in happens that Seagate Doctor is not able to complete translator regen in partial access fix, in that case i use manual translator repair in MRT (SD doesn't have such function), MRT manual translator for partial access is very good (you need to use it in combination with MRT DE to check directly effects).

This is how i procede in case of partial access fix regen problem:
1) I start SD partial access fix and write on a piece of paper all reported sectors in SD log (you have to stand in front of the monitor).
2) Wait until SD finish, if it can't finish because it stucks on some LBA, interrupt SD and go to step 3.
3) Re-power drive and open MRT.
4) Check list in terminal with V40 and V80 commands (if those list are cleared then go to step 6).
5) Clear G-list with command i4,1,22 and NRG with specific NRG clear function in MRT. Check again with commands V40 and V80, if they have not been cleared completely use command m0,2,2,,,,,22 and check again with V40 and V80 (now list should be cleared completely).
6) Insert manually one-by-one all sectors that you've written on a piece of paper from SD log in MRT manual translator regen utility (or similar, i don't remember the exact function name, you'll find it in MRT menu).
7) Every time you regen a point manually, check in DE if you really get access since that point by cloning from there. DE will report black square when reaches next LBA point that hasn't still regenerated.
8) Insert next LBA in manual translator regen and continue to clone...
9) Sometime it happens that translator corrupts again (manual translator will not work more when that happens), in that case repeat procedure from point 4, insert LBA point in MRT manual translator since the first one you have reported on paper (one by one without the need to check again all them in DE, until you get again on point 8.
10) Continue from point 8.

I hope that explanation is clear for you, if you have question just ask.
This is the solution for those that don't have PC3000, if you have it then forch utility should do all the job in automatic.