Data Recovery Novice

offline source drive

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:44 am

what is that mean?

Jared
Forum Admin

offline source drive

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:04 pm

It changes the last byte of data in the MBR from AA (active) to BB (offline). If the source drive is "offline'd" windows won't try to mount it, but data recovery software can still work with it just fine.

pc3000
Data Recovery Novice

offline source drive

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:49 pm

Jared wrote:It changes the last byte of data in the MBR from AA (active) to BB (offline).

thanks

Sam
Experienced DR Tech

offline source drive

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:36 pm

Jared wrote:Source of the post It changes the last byte of data in the MBR from AA (active) to BB (offline).

Are you sure? I think the box the OP asks about changes the source to "offline" in Windows Disk Management but doesn't write anything to the source. I may be wrong but that box might only pop up when source isn't connected to a PC3k port, like when using a flash drive in a USB port as source. You may be thinking of when you check the box "modify MBR" which makes the AA to BB change to the destination drive.

Jared
Forum Admin

offline source drive

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:48 am

Sam wrote:
Jared wrote:Source of the post It changes the last byte of data in the MBR from AA (active) to BB (offline).

Are you sure? I think the box the OP asks about changes the source to "offline" in Windows Disk Management but doesn't write anything to the source. I may be wrong but that box might only pop up when source isn't connected to a PC3k port, like when using a flash drive in a USB port as source. You may be thinking of when you check the box "modify MBR" which makes the AA to BB change to the destination drive.
You're right, that is what I was thinking. Not totally sure what that option does.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Return to “Logical Data Recovery & Data Recovery Software”