User avatar
nissimezra
Data Recovery Novice
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:40 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact: Website

Non data recovery job become data recovery from hell

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:53 pm

Hi all

New iMacs, Macbooks SSD's seems to be encrypted, when I boot from bootable linux drive I can see the drive but the drive show empty.
It used to be a simple recovery job to recover files from crashed mac's but now it become impossible.

Anyone have any work around for this? I already lost 3 jobs.

If some know how to back up new Mac's with SSD please help

Thanks in advance

hdd00
Data Recovery Noob
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:37 am

Non data recovery job become data recovery from hell

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:45 pm

It could be AFPS file system which is encrypted by default. You need a software that understands AFPS and can work with it.

User avatar
Jared
Forum Admin
Posts: 3468
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:32 pm
Location: Providence, RI
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter Skype YouTube Google+

Non data recovery job become data recovery from hell

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:14 am

There are several Windows options for APFS support but all are very new and limited in function.

R-Studio - Only one that supports encrypted APFS so far but it's limited
Recovery Explorer - Also supports APFS
Mac Drive - Allows mounting APFS to Windows

However the best option is still an actual Mac (unfortunately)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

User avatar
nissimezra
Data Recovery Novice
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:40 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact: Website

Non data recovery job become data recovery from hell

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:20 am

hdd00 wrote:It could be AFPS file system which is encrypted by default. You need a software that understands AFPS and can work with it.

Thx for replay
AFPS is started in 2017, I'm talking about Mac's from 2014 that use HFS+.
I have working Mac's that I've tested, but booting live Linux CD will show as unallocated partition

Anyone have an idea how to backup the files from live CD?

User avatar
nissimezra
Data Recovery Novice
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:40 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact: Website

Non data recovery job become data recovery from hell

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:33 am

Jared wrote:There are several Windows options for APFS support but all are very new and limited in function.

R-Studio - Only one that supports encrypted APFS so far but it's limited
Recovery Explorer - Also supports APFS
Mac Drive - Allows mounting APFS to Windows

However the best option is still an actual Mac (unfortunately)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk


Jared thanks for your help again.

It's not APFS, Its HFS+. I've tested this on working Macs, All the Macs from mid 2014 and up seems to be encrypted, You can't use parted magic to see/mount the main partition.
I think the only way is to use another mac to load the drive in it, must have the password

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... le_rich_qa

User avatar
nissimezra
Data Recovery Novice
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:40 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact: Website

Non data recovery job become data recovery from hell

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:42 am

Now I had same story with Microsoft surface, Whatever you want to do it will ask for 18 digit to decrypt it first even system restore.
https://www.top-password.com/blog/disab ... rface-pro/

jol
Data Recovery Pro
Posts: 641
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:31 pm

Non data recovery job become data recovery from hell

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:56 pm

nissimezra wrote:Whatever you want to do it will ask for 18 digit to decrypt it first

18 digits ?

hdd00
Data Recovery Noob
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:37 am

Non data recovery job become data recovery from hell

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:49 am

nissimezra wrote:Source of the post Hi all

New iMacs, Macbooks SSD's seems to be encrypted


You said new Mac's......You did not say Mac's from 2014....

nissimezra wrote:It's not APFS, Its HFS+. I've tested this on working Macs, All the Macs from mid 2014 and up seems to be encrypted


Then it could be Filevault or another type of encryption.

User avatar
nissimezra
Data Recovery Novice
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:40 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact: Website

Non data recovery job become data recovery from hell

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:35 pm

jol wrote:
nissimezra wrote:Whatever you want to do it will ask for 18 digit to decrypt it first

18 digits ?

Yes it spacify 18 digits.
Customer doesn't know anything about it. It says to login to ms account to find it.
You can't even do system restore.
DR is going to be very challenging now, not something we got use to

jol
Data Recovery Pro
Posts: 641
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:31 pm

Non data recovery job become data recovery from hell

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:08 pm

I assume we are talking about BitLocker encryption since you've mentiond MS acc.
Then its a 48 digit code

Return to “SSD & Flash Data Recovery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests