Non data recovery job become data recovery from hell

nissimezra

jol":hkv62duy said:
I assume we are talking about BitLocker encryption since you've mentiond MS acc.
Then its a 48 digit code

Hi Jol, Thx for answering
It is Bitlocker encryption but it asked for 18 digit. Thats what I remember.

Any thoughts about the Mac? The only way I found if the customer know the passwords is to reinstall the operating system without deleting the files. Not as safe as backing it up first.

jol

reinstall the operating system ?
there is at least 2 ways i know of that can decrypt them with the password
never tried them (I've always found my way to the key)
and some are saying that they doesn't work

nissimezra

jol":3q31dyp7 said:
reinstall the operating system ?
there is at least 2 ways i know of that can decrypt them with the password
never tried them (I've always found my way to the key)
and some are saying that they doesn't work

sure there are ways to get around this but the problem is that this is a 100$ (CDN) job, people coming to reinstall or recover windows will not pay more. Would you decrypt it for this price?
Simple job, boot from any live and copy past the files become a DR job

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I personally won't touch a HDD for data recovery for less than $275. The amount of time you'll spend in research figuring out what you need to do in so many cases is excessive in this field. You can't do them for cheap, not if you expect to ever be any good at it.

jol

nissimezra":39czvz32 said:
sure there are ways to get around this but the problem is that this is a 100$ (CDN) job, people coming to reinstall or recover windows will not pay more. Would you decrypt it for this price?
100$ (and probably Canadian) ????? :eek: :shock:

try to ask in a million years from now :lol: :lol: :lol:

nissimezra

jol":bolnfcia said:
nissimezra":bolnfcia said:
100$ (and probably Canadian) ????? :eek: :shock:

try to ask in a million years from now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep Canadian

How much can you ask for reinstall the OS and backup? Believe it or not even that is to hard to get, There people doing it for 30$ Canadian!

A customer came to me yesterday with a 700$ laptop I5 CPU I asked 180$ to replace the drive and install windows but the drive was not detected by the bios so I told her DR might be needed. even 180$ was to much drive included

Life ain easy my friend

I have no problem with the price, it use to be an easy job, create a partition, copy the user folder, install OS, restore backup, an hour work. But now it become a very hard job with the inception crap

The worst enemy of losing data is the user

LarrySabo

I charge $125+HST to install/re-install Windows, including up to 50GB of data back-up/restore. That's on top of $100-$125 (ave.) for a new HDD. But you're right -- people are reluctant to spend money repairing computers and too quick to just buy a new one, or do without and just use their phone.

nissimezra

LarrySabo":27h9wpvt said:
I charge $125+HST to install/re-install Windows, including up to 50GB of data back-up/restore. That's on top of $100-$125 (ave.) for a new HDD. But you're right -- people are reluctant to spend money repairing computers and too quick to just buy a new one, or do without and just use their phone.
I know, I've checked your website already. Nice website simple and clean.
To install windows 10 on SSD takes 10 minutes max. On HDD max 30 min. Drivers are not an issue in most cases. To charge 125 for this easy job you are risking losing an easy 100$!. Many will not come if its over 80$. Think about how many customers you lose for others.
Many came with a 2 years laptop when the price reached over 150$ they just left and bought a new one.
On the other hand you are charging 60$ for an on-site services which means if you'll come to install windows in my home I'll pay 90$ only, much cheaper.
To replace screen only 75$ :shock: :shock: a much harder work.

Now to me it doesn't make sense but if its good for you, keep it. Just bare in mind that on kijiji they can find for less than 50$

I am very careful when an easy job comes in, It's very easy to lose it.

Just sharing my thoughts not telling you what to do :)

Best

LarrySabo

@nissimezra, there will always be people ("pizza techs") willing to do any computer job cheaper. Competing with them is a race to the bottom. I don't mind losing all the potential (cheap) customers to pizza techs. In my experience, they tend to be the most trouble anyway. I focus on providing outstanding service at a reasonable price, doing things properly, and standing behind my work. My testimonials suggest I'm doing things right but you're right -- to each his/her own. I have been in the computer repair business for for 21 years now, during which time I suspect many techs who focus on offering the lowest price have come and gone. It helps that I'm semi-retired and don't need to fully support my wife and myself on the business income alone. :mrgreen:

I would happy to replace screens all day long for $75; It's easy on most computers and on very few, yeah, it's a PITA.

jol

my friend who is working as a computer tech in xyz computers who are selling everything with at least 20% higher than everyone in here told me

one day a guy comes in and asks whats the price to replace the internal HDD for his laptop
they say:
the HDD XTB cost 20% higher than highest price you can find
an hourly charge of doing the work involved (backing up the data, new installation Etc) 20% higher than the highest computer tech would charge

he asks why so expensive
he was answered
welcome to xyz computers
we are not selling computers or doing tech jobs
we are selling service

on a side note
they are existing about 20 years in the market while other cheap techs/shops are long gone (as @Larry mentioned)