New PC-3000 Express Rig

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I just ordered my PC-3000 Express card update yesterday. Built my new rig for it today:

PC-3000 Express Rig.jpg

Specs:

GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z97X Motherboard
i5 4590 CPU
RAIDMAX Vampire 1000W PSU
IN WIN Full Tower Case
Areca ARC-1880i RAID Controller
8x 4Tb HGST SAS Hard Drives in RAID 6
250Gb Samsung 850 EVO M.2 SSD

All things said and done, about $1,800 not counting the PC-3000 or any software. Definitely the most expensive desktop computer I've ever touched. :D

pclab

Until the PC3K comes, you can play some Solitaire on it. It should work ahhahaha
By the way, you get the black card or the red card? I have to upgrade mine until the end of the year....

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
@PCLab - got the black card coming, 4 channels baby yeah!

@jol - Just to run the card, absolutely not. Most of the cost was in the high end SAS RAID array. I'm trying to get away from always having to image to individual drives which will become a mess fast with 4 channels. Having a huge high speed RAID in the system I'm hoping to be able to just use image files for most cases now. In zero filling the RAID it was running at a sustained 625Mb/s while in RAID 6. That should be more than enough bandwidth to keep up with imaging 4 drives at once I hope. That way I can avoid all the time spent wiping clones, and just delete the image files when I'm done with them.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
abedalkareem":tl9e7gwe said:
BIG like ..... i think you abandoning the new car project ??

No, I still need a new car. But unlike a car, this is a tax write-off and it's almost the end of the year... so time to rack up the write-offs. Will be getting the car once I get done paying this monster off.

This looks great.. I so much enjoy the built. This will surely speed things up and less overnight Jobs. PC3000 Express is worth the investment. Whishing you all the best in this new investment.