New Linux Tool - HDDSuperTool

maximus

So it has been awhile since I have posted any update progress. I am still slowly working on the GUI for HDDSuperClone, but sometimes I get sidetracked by something. My most recent sidetrack is that I have added scripts to HDDSuperTool to read and write ROM on WD ROYL drives. While this would not normally be a big deal as there are other programs out there that can do this, mine can do it through USB (for free). The purpose is to aid with PC board swap by giving the option to either back up the ROM before physically moving it, or even be able to transfer without actually moving it. This of course depends on the drive being recognized in Linux, and I also don't know if ROM can be read on SED locked drives.

gps31

is there any script to write back the dumped modules to the drive?

i had dumped all modules from wd10tmvw-11zsms4 using hddsupertool, now i want to write them to the drive.

Can anyone provide script to write all the dumped modules to the drive???

gps31":1ujsucb8 said:
is there any script to write back the dumped modules to the drive?

i had dumped all modules from wd10tmvw-11zsms4 using hddsupertool, now i want to write them to the drive.

Can anyone provide script to write all the dumped modules to the drive???

Gps ,
Why Don,t You Buy MRT In Installment Mode ? .Instead Of Using a Software Thats Full Of Features Leeched From Research Of Other Individuals .MRT Has Decent WDC and Seagate Feature Support

maximus

There is a script that can write WD modules, but only one at a time, not all at once. It can be found at the following link. Don't use the one from the first post, there is another a few posts down that has a bug fix. Use it at your own risk.
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=171&t=1834

The reason there is not any official script to write modules is that I consider it to be dangerous. The dump all script does not do any error checking, so there is no true way to know if they were all good. Also the write script in the link is capable of writing edited modules, so one could write a corrupt module to the drive.

As much as I don't like part of the comment by Amarbir, if you wish to work with the full firmware of a drive then you should use software that is meant for that. Hddsupertool is meant to be a tool, not a full blown software suite. That is why it is free, and the pro tools cost money.

maximus":384lc2xt said:
There is a script that can write WD modules, but only one at a time, not all at once. It can be found at the following link. Don't use the one from the first post, there is another a few posts down that has a bug fix. Use it at your own risk.
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=171&t=1834

The reason there is not any official script to write modules is that I consider it to be dangerous. The dump all script does not do any error checking, so there is no true way to know if they were all good. Also the write script in the link is capable of writing edited modules, so one could write a corrupt module to the drive.

As much as I don't like part of the comment by Amarbir, if you wish to work with the full firmware of a drive then you should use software that is meant for that. Hddsupertool is meant to be a tool, not a full blown software suite. That is why it is free, and the pro tools cost money.

Well,
You Have Your Own Opinion To Like Or Not Like My Comment ,My Suggestion To Him is Perfect ,Secondly I am from the same country and i know the financial mess thats going on here ,Professionals Use Pro Tools Not Kid Tools

LarrySabo

Instead Of Using a Software Thats Full Of Features Leeched From Research Of Other Individuals ... Professionals Use Pro Tools Not Kid Tools

Geez, Amarbir, is it necessary to be so insulting and condescending? Maximus has spent a lot of time and effort to develop tools to help computer techs and individuals (who are not data recovery professionals) to recover their or their customers' data from unstable drives. He is to be commended, not insulted.

maximus

Amarbir[CDR-Labs said:
":1kpxepdq][post]6863[/post] Well,
You Have Your Own Opinion To Like Or Not Like My Comment ,My Suggestion To Him is Perfect ,Secondly I am from the same country and i know the financial mess thats going on here ,Professionals Use Pro Tools Not Kid Tools
If you read what I said carefully, you will see that I did not disagree with you. I just didn't like the way you worded it.

maximus

So to hopefully get back on track here, I have been working with someone in an attempt to perform the slow fix on a WD USB drive that appears to be locked in some way. The current status is:
1) Modules can be read with normal VSC commands
2) Modules cannot be written (it fails)
3) ROM can be read (did not try to write)
4) RAM cannot be read
5) The drive is not ATA password protected
6) Attempting safe mode while still a USB connected drive did not work (not seen as a drive in Linux)
7) All of the above seem to still be true with a compatible SATA board

The fact that the drive is not recognized in safe mode in Linux via USB could be very normal for this drive. But the user has a compatible SATA board for this drive, and (thanks to being able to read the ROM with hddsupertool) has copied the ROM to the compatible SATA board. But what is bothering me is that he has tried and tried, but cannot get the drive to come off busy when attempting safe mode. It is difficult because I am in a very different time zone than him so communication is very slow, but the last message was that with an older computer, older version of Linux, and a (different) regular SATA drive, he was able to achieve a connection to a drive in safe mode. So my question is, has anyone seen a drive where the ROM will not allow safe mode? The ROM was written to the SATA board while it was in normal operation. But I am afraid to attempt to patch ROM without the known confirmation that it can be undone in safe mode.

Without the drive in my possession, it is very hard to test these things. That is why I ask this question.

LarrySabo":3um6pjnb said:
Instead Of Using a Software Thats Full Of Features Leeched From Research Of Other Individuals ... Professionals Use Pro Tools Not Kid Tools

Geez, Amarbir, is it necessary to be so insulting and condescending? Maximus has spent a lot of time and effort to develop tools to help computer techs and individuals (who are not data recovery professionals) to recover their or their customers' data from unstable drives. He is to be commended, not insulted.

Well,
I Do Not Like anyone ,If He Makes a Tool Out Of Someone Else Research And Hampers Bread And Butter Of DR Firms And Small Individuals .I Have This stand Since a Long Time And Hence i stand by It .If You See I Am Very Vocal About It .Do your Own Research ,Make your Own Tool As Simple As i Can Put ,BTW i am not Interested In Any More Talk Regarding This Tool.On What Basis Do You Support such a Venture .If All Ventures And Tips Tricks Have To Be Public Then We Should Leave This Profession And Write On Our Work Place " Data Recovery If Done Free Here " . In My Case " Its Not Done Free " . Ultimately We Will Be Left With Only Physical Jobs [ Out Of those 50% Would Be Pre Tempered ] .

pclab

I think that because if you don't like, other people might use it and like.
You don't need to put down Maximus work.

You don't like, don't use it.