New Linux Tool - HDDSuperTool

jol

maximus":1ccc4sn9 said:
I do not have access to such hardware and was wondering what kind of feedback and logging they do.
i never saw a log, and i don't think there is
why do you wanna know ?

maximus

jol":8ea1tpno said:
i never saw a log, and i don't think there is
why do you wanna know ?
I want to know because I will be looking to compare my software only tool against the hardware tools. The only proper way to compare is to be able to know when certain events such as resets happen, and how effective the events are.

maximus

LarrySabo":74cr6kxc said:
My DFL DDP imager does, because the software forces and logs them after the specified time-out period.
So I just had to look up the price for DFL DDP (ouch), and during the search I found a comment about how there is the freeware ddrescue, and then the (very expensive) hardware tools. That is the gap I am hoping to fill, for a much more modest price.

When I am ready (probably not any time soon), would you be willing and able to do any testing of my tool? I know I had asked if anyone could send me bad hard drives, but maybe what would help just as much would be those willing to test my software against another tool.

jol

maximus":3naz21q3 said:
The only proper way to compare is to be able to know when certain events such as resets happen, and how effective the events are.
i dont need a log for that i have seen it in action live plenty of times, and saw the efficiency, but you on the other hand, because you want retrace the steps afterwards...

LarrySabo

maximus":2oxr91iq said:
When I am ready (probably not any time soon), would you be willing and able to do any testing of my tool? I know I had asked if anyone could send me bad hard drives, but maybe what would help just as much would be those willing to test my software against another tool.
I'm a Linux retard but I'll give it a go. Haven't paid much attention to the tool so will go back and study up.

Larry

maximus

I will be very grateful for beta testers :D
Initial testing will be using the menu driven scripts, probably with modified scan and clone scripts.

There will be a prerequisite for testing the AHCI mode. Your version of Linux must have kernel 3.13 or newer. Ubuntu 14.04 has 3.13 (I am using xUbuntu 14.04). This is because of when the ability to hide a drive became available (reference the links in my post a few pages back). I could not tell you what version other distributions of Linux have. The nice thing about HDDSuperTool is it can be ran from a live CD so you don't have to have Linux installed on a computer, although it would obviously be much easier to maintain with an actual Linux installation.

If things went exceptionally well I could be ready for testing next week. But things rarely go that well so it will more likely be a few weeks yet before I would be ready for any testing.

LarrySabo

I'll still try to test it on drives I know require soft/hard and power resets and let you know how it goes. Very good that it will run from a live CD.