New Linux Tool - HDDSuperTool

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I might be able to help you out with getting some slow responding drives...I make it a practice to backup the SA modules that cause the glitch before I run the fix. So when I'm done recovering, if the customer doesn't want the old drive back (I always offer to recycle) I can wipe the sectors, put back the corrupted SA modules so it's slow again, and then send it out to you to play with.

Or for the drives that just have a lot of bad sectors and keep hanging, I can wipe on DDI before sending out. I know I can't send you anything with data on it as per our confidentiality policy (which we actually follow).

Jared":354bxddk said:
I make it a practice to backup the SA modules that cause the glitch before I run the fix. So when I'm done recovering, if the customer doesn't want the old drive back).

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
HAHA

your comment light me on jared , in some DR cases the client hard drive suffer from "slow responding issue" i just hook it up and choose the option quickly before i buck up the modules
then the customer may refuse the quoted price and want his drive back ......... Oo :shock: :shock:

so jared what is the modules responsible for the "slow responding issue" i will backup them in such future cases?? :cool:

maximus

I might be able to help you out with getting some slow responding drives...I make it a practice to backup the SA modules that cause the glitch before I run the fix. So when I'm done recovering, if the customer doesn't want the old drive back (I always offer to recycle) I can wipe the sectors, put back the corrupted SA modules so it's slow again, and then send it out to you to play with.

Or for the drives that just have a lot of bad sectors and keep hanging, I can wipe on DDI before sending out. I know I can't send you anything with data on it as per our confidentiality policy (which we actually follow).
At this time I would be most interested in the drives that keep hanging. I want drives that need both soft and hard resets and even power cycles to resume. I need that so I can test how to best deal with those situations as I write the ability to process drives via AHCI, and also possibly improve IDE. I would like to have this worked out good before I start on the actual cloning feature. I am not in a big hurry, so we have time to discuss any further details of the possibility. I would be most grateful for this opportunity :D

maximus

abedalkareem":3sq4dfjm said:
your comment light me on jared , in some DR cases the client hard drive suffer from "slow responding issue" i just hook it up and choose the option quickly before i buck up the modules
then the customer may refuse the quoted price and want his drive back ......... Oo :shock: :shock:
Things like that are why I try to do my best to write my software to make backups. I just added scripts to HDDSuperTool the patches for mod32 and mod02 on WD drives for the slow fix, based on public information found on how to implement it. One of the first things it does is make a time stamped backup with serial number. So every time you run it, it makes a new backup. Isn't this all about recovering a drive because someone didn't have a backup? So why would recovery software not do the best to make a backup of changes it made?

maximus

About what percentage of current recovery cases are the older IDE PATA drives? I am curious because I have not yet worked on setting up DMA timing on a controller and wondered how important that will be. The nice thing about SATA is there seems to be no need to worry about DMA mode or settings.

And an update on my progress: I have achieved reads and writes with AHCI. Next is soft resets and com resets, and then much testing for data integrity, performance, and bugs.

maximus

With those percentages I think I will focus on SATA drives and AHCI for now.

Progress update: I can say that I have now achieved soft resets and com resets with AHCI :D
But I will also say that AHCI is more quirky then I thought, and I have many bugs to work out :?

maximus

I have another curious question. On actual IDE drives, how often is a hard reset (pin 1 reset) beneficial? As far as I can tell there is no way to do this with software only, and would require external hardware (modified cable with relay).

I am also curious if all the high price recovery hardware gives information about how many soft resets, hard resets, and power cycles it does during recovery. I do not have access to such hardware and was wondering what kind of feedback and logging they do.