New "cheaper" tools than HDDSurgery

Blizzard

pc3000":lhsk59rk said:
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsMD5EqWSUQ )
drives with more than one platter
How It Works?
What about alignment?

You have to test drives before you remove platters on a customer's drive. Different HDDs work in different ways. Always make more than 1 mark for alignment. Maybe you have to edit headmap in RAM and only image 1 head at a time. Maybe some Seagates that don't ID after platter swap you can experiment by changing Max head = 0 in SAP control flags. You will need to spend a lot of time experimenting, I doubt anyone is giving away a list of what works on what drives :)
The fun starts here:
seagate test drives.jpg

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Blizzard":38asrzs5 said:
You will need to spend a lot of time experimenting, I doubt anyone is giving away a list of what works on what drives :)

Yes, and this is why we all spend 3/4 of our days just doing experiments that have probably been done 20x before. I really hope one day we can all get away from this "exclusivist" mentality and start to really pool our knowledge. I bet if we did we could all churn out 5x as many cases because we'd cut down the R&D majorly.

pclab

Jared":10rk8j8h said:
Blizzard":10rk8j8h said:
You will need to spend a lot of time experimenting, I doubt anyone is giving away a list of what works on what drives :)

Yes, and this is why we all spend 3/4 of our days just doing experiments that have probably been done 20x before. I really hope one day we can all get away from this "exclusivist" mentality and start to really pool our knowledge. I bet if we did we could all churn out 5x as many cases because we'd cut down the R&D majorly.

Absolutely AGREE!!!