LarrySabo
Data Recovery Master

New "cheaper" tools than HDDSurgery

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:38 am

Thanks for the review, @Blizzard. Yes, what about platter alignment?

Blizzard
Experienced DR Tech

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:15 pm

pc3000 wrote:( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsMD5EqWSUQ )
drives with more than one platter
How It Works?
What about alignment?

You have to test drives before you remove platters on a customer's drive. Different HDDs work in different ways. Always make more than 1 mark for alignment. Maybe you have to edit headmap in RAM and only image 1 head at a time. Maybe some Seagates that don't ID after platter swap you can experiment by changing Max head = 0 in SAP control flags. You will need to spend a lot of time experimenting, I doubt anyone is giving away a list of what works on what drives :)
The fun starts here:
seagate test drives.jpg

Jared
Forum Admin

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:13 pm

Blizzard wrote:You will need to spend a lot of time experimenting, I doubt anyone is giving away a list of what works on what drives :)

Yes, and this is why we all spend 3/4 of our days just doing experiments that have probably been done 20x before. I really hope one day we can all get away from this "exclusivist" mentality and start to really pool our knowledge. I bet if we did we could all churn out 5x as many cases because we'd cut down the R&D majorly.

pclab
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Jared wrote:
Blizzard wrote:You will need to spend a lot of time experimenting, I doubt anyone is giving away a list of what works on what drives :)

Yes, and this is why we all spend 3/4 of our days just doing experiments that have probably been done 20x before. I really hope one day we can all get away from this "exclusivist" mentality and start to really pool our knowledge. I bet if we did we could all churn out 5x as many cases because we'd cut down the R&D majorly.

Absolutely AGREE!!!
www.pclab.com.pt
facebook.com/PCLAB.Assistencia.Tecnica

Return to “Physical Data Recovery Tools”