Thomhee
Data Recovery Noob

My old laptop 2.5" SATA drive recovery issues

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:23 pm

I'm definitely a newbie to this. My old laptop took a giant dump and it won't even turn on. Battery, motherboard, etc... I removed the hard drive in hopes to be able to recover some files I had on it.

I just purchased the USB 3.0 To 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Adapter With Case and I'm hooking it up to my old hard drive. My laptop sees the drive under Local Disk (E:) but I'm getting the following: E:\ is not accessible. Access is denied. when I hook it up to my new laptop. I can't open it at all to view the files.

Any ideas what I can do about this?

Thanks,
Thomas

Jared
Forum Admin

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:42 am

Most likely all your computer is seeing connected is the chip inside of the USB to SATA adapter.

How does the HDD sound when it's powered on, is it making any sort of clicking sound? Does it keep spinning or spin back down after a minute or so?

If it sounds normal, what do you see in Disk Management (control panel > admin tools > computer management > disk management)?

Freakazoid
Data Recovery Novice

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:11 pm

a friend of me also meet that problem you have.. he enable hot swap.. if that is not possible maybe try to restart the computer with the disc connected

Jared
Forum Admin

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:31 pm

Freakazoid wrote:Source of the post if that is not possible maybe try to restart the computer with the disc connected

USB always has hot-swap enabled. There's no reason to need to restart the computer. Even if he were SATA connecting it, all he'd need to do is rescan the disks in disk management. But, I'm suspect there's a bigger problem here.

Return to “SSD & Flash Data Recovery”