Multiple platter alignment, how to do

slingshot

datahaze":1fcgg2qe said:
slingshot":1fcgg2qe said:
How do you mark them though ?

I don't have experience doing this, but I've heard one can just mark the edge of the platter with a sharpie

Surely not, I would have thought the alignment has to be millimetre accurate (if not more) and the human eye/hand cant work that tolerance

Blizzard

slingshot":22ofbsv6 said:
Surely not, I would have thought the alignment has to be millimetre accurate (if not more) and the human eye/hand cant work that tolerance
It depends on the model of the HDD. Like Emir_Has mentioned, some still work without maintaining alignment, some don't, some need head map changes when alignment is lost. I don't want to post much about it because you'll eventually have new DR techs spinning platters like they're a DJ at their cousin's wedding.
WARNING: Removing platters one by one could cost your customer their data.

slingshot

Blizzard":1hdby0dt said:
slingshot":1hdby0dt said:
I don't want to post much about it because you'll eventually have new DR techs spinning platters like they're a DJ at their cousin's wedding.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I can already see it, makes me want to cry :cry:

I've spoken with a few DR professionals about this and there are definitely models it can be done with, but it seems to be an in-house secret on which models etc - fair enough. I guess building up a profile on what can and can't be done to each model comes with hands on experience and you don't just want to put that on public arenas for superstar DJ's to start spinning them on youtube. For me personally, the crux of it is I'd just like to be able to inspect platters for damage beyond the top or bottom in a stack.

My eyes see ,
A friend has computer repair shop . He opened 2 Hitachi hdd. Swapped platters. Not worked. After then he reswap platters to original case. But platters mixed. Dropped . He take it with hand. And put in back original case. And.
My eyes saw it was working. Tested with hdd tune quick mode. No bad sector .
One more info.
Place was normal office. No clean room.

Freddy

Sorry I do data recovery for more than 30 years.
I can not believe this story :eek:
I manage to swap platters on different manufacturers but platters which has been dropped and mixed can not work and finger prints on it destroys the heads. :shock:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
DigitalVeriKurtarma":12m7qgsd said:
[post]13308[/post] But platters mixed. Dropped . He take it with hand. And put in back original case. And.

Your friend did a slight-of-hand magic trick on you and swapped drives at some point.

Jared":318sq33q said:
DigitalVeriKurtarma":318sq33q said:
[post]13308[/post] But platters mixed. Dropped . He take it with hand. And put in back original case. And.

Your friend did a slight-of-hand magic trick on you and swapped drives at some point.

:lol: :mrgreen:

slingshot

Jared":2h1d742y said:
DigitalVeriKurtarma":2h1d742y said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm also wondering which HDDs need exact platter alignment and which doesn't. Is there any news on this? Getting always a Donor first to test it is a bit unsatisfying and costly aswell.