Multiple files with same name

deguza

Hello all,

While using LSoft Technologies' Active@ data recovery tools for the first time to unerase mp3 files, Active@ came up with a lengthy list.

I noticed that most files on the list were listed anywhere from two to five times. The difference was in the size.

I chose the largest files to recover.

I am curious as to what the others are. Also wondering if I should have recovered them all.

I am about to review the results so I cannot yet comment on the success of my recovery operation.

Any comments appreciated.

Deguza

P.S.: I used the Active@ software from a flash drive. The software ran on a Linux platform. The hard drive that the mp3s were on is one of the drives in a RAID 1 system built on Synology NAS system. I connected the hard drive via a USB interface.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I do know that Synology uses file versioning if you're using any of the CloudStation apps that it includes. So it'd have multiple versions of just about anything that's ever been modified since it was first saved there, which might include mp3 metadata being edited by some player you're using.

deguza

Hello Jared:

So what happens if I choose all of the different size mp3 files for a particular song?

Would I end up with only the last one in the queue?

Thanks,

Deguza

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Most data recovery software will prompt you what you want to do when there is a filename conflict. You can try selecting "skip" and it'll just keep the first one it recovers, or "overwrite" which will end up keeping only the last one it recovers. Or you can use "rename" which will append the file name with a number so you can try each different copy of the file yourself.