MRT Pros and Cons

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'm wondering if someone (maybe Brian) who actually owns MRT along with other tools like PC-3000 could give a basic breakdown of the good and bad of MRT compared with other tools.

I know it's not as good as PC-3000, but at the price I've considered getting one as just a fallback when both channels are tied upon my other station.

pclab

Hi

I also have booth MRT and PC3K.
MRT lacks maturity. There are functions that I don't even know on PC3K that aren't on MRT ehehheheh
It still have a long way to go.
I bought it mainly for the DE, that's does what it's made for. Not so bad. And because of the possibility of paying monthly .

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
How well does it work for just the basic stuff. ROM transfers, adjust headmap in RAM, SA backup, WD slow resp. fix, imaging around bad sectors, etc. when compared? That's all I'm really looking for in a second workstation.

w.simon

AFAIK, it work pretty well for all every case : slow fix, imaging or extract, headmap in ram, rom, nvram read et cie

a good fail over i case you have to many job for the main tool.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
It's only $3000 USD for the whole system including the data extractor part. Definitely looks like they ripped off PC-3000's look, but a familiar interface will actually make it more useful. Here's the link where they show the price: http://en.mrtlab.com/mrt-pro

I invited their sales team to join the forum, and they said they would. So perhaps we can get them posting updates of new features/functions here. I'll be interested to see how the tool matures over time, or if it gets abandoned like Salvation Data did.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
If you can afford it PC-3000 is the gold standard. I think that's been pretty well established in every discussion I've ever read.

But MRT is much more affordable and appears to have many of the same basic features. It's when you get to the more advanced cases that PC-3000 shines with some amazing features. I've been using it for well over a year now and still am surprised to find out new things it can do when the need arises.