Monolith Data Recovery – Free Conference in New York

acelab

This post can be very useful for those experts who need to recover data from monolithic flash devices.

ACE Lab, the manufacturer of the PC-3000 data recovery tools, invites everyone who needs to recover data from monolithic flash devices to a FREE one-day Monolith. Top-level Technology for Top-level Tasks. Conference in New York on September 18, 2015.

It was next to impossible to recover data from monolithic flash devices in the past. The new ACE Lab technology provides you with much more efficient, universal, and, most importantly, affordable solution to recover data from monolithic flash devices!

This will be a very informative event full of detailed explanations, case studies and exciting peer-to-peer discussions.

All professionals who are involved in recovering data from monolithic flash devices are welcome to attend. The conference will be of special interest to forensic experts and data recovery companies who offer NAND recovery services or data recovery services for all types of storage devices.

See more

HaQue

"It was next to impossible to recover data from monolithic flash devices in the past."

This is WILDLY exaggerated.
if you know pinout, after solder and dump many times the recovery is no different than a TSOP

But still wishing I could somehow get to USA :(

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say it was next to impossible to most guys who don't know how to identify the pin-outs. We can't all be genius' like you. I'm seriously considering going, and I don't even do the flash recoveries in-house yet. I still outsource them. But, it's worthwhile to take advantage of any free training I can get for the future when I do decide to tackle it.

HaQue

Actually re-reading that, I think I made it look like a TSOP is a walk in the park and it is definitely not the case.

I am sure there will be an amount of useful info directly applicable to all types of recovery, monolith or no.

I don't use ACEs kit. I wonder if they will be showing off their monolith research jig. I saw a picture of it, and almost sure I grabbed a copy but can find no mention of it on the web last time I looked. Still not convinced it is better than soldering to a board though. I have been toying with different jig ideas for a while and maybe soldering is just quicker than all the time spent on something like that.

if you have ever seen an IC probe test jig, it kind of looked like that. a bunch of needles in a circular arrangement that could probe the monolith. interesting approach, but I have been playing around with a dedicated microcontroller/fpga board to identify pinouts automatically (like the JTAGulator).. not easy!

especially when now there is a growing amount of monoliths where all signals are not on the top layer of the PCB, so it isn't just nice to have but almost REQUIRES X-Ray.

Not sure how any smaller company could do both flash and HDD unless they had a full time tech on each. each just takes so much time, with so much to learn..

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
HaQue":1s6ar804 said:
Not sure how any smaller company could do both flash and HDD unless they had a full time tech on each. each just takes so much time, with so much to learn..

That's exactly where I'm at. Got a pretty good handle on the HDD's but to take on doing flash in-house, I'd have to train another guy to at least take over the easier HDD cases so I could really focus on it.

hddguy

When I started working with flash it took two of us to take it on, I took the Soft Center route while my colleague took on PC3000. I was pretty lucky in that I had a few guys at skype that gave me good advice and support. I worked on flash alone for around 2 years, it really does require a lot of time and a totally different approach than traditional HDD recovery. I dont do flash work anymore, but the guy I worked with is still doing it for us and he is in a department of 2 engineers who work only on flash and phones.

Personally, I would find it impossible to deal with both HDD and Flash jobs due to the level of work and time involved in the Flash work and the constantly evolving failures of HDD .

I do try to take an interest in the Flash stuff, but I have to be realistic and at a personal level I would not be able to commit a lot to it these days.