MicroSD on Microsoft Surface - doesn't recognize

gardner.smith

Hi. I hae a 128 GB MicroSD card that is normally used on a Microsoft Surface running Windows 10. It hasn't been backed up in awhile, and it was plugged into an Android phone. To my knowledge, no permission was given to reformat the card in the Android phone. However, when I plugged it back into my Surface the OS did not recognize the disk.

I am assuming the phone reformatted the disk and the data has been lost. I'd like to recover it if possible. I tried downloading the free Recuva software, but it does not find anything, I am assuming because the OS does not recognize the disk.

I'd buy the professional version of Recuva if it will work in my case. Any advice is appreciated, it's my own fault for not backing it up regularly but I'd like to recover whatever files I can. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'd start by just checking a few basic things. Does the card report correct capacity to the OS? If you open the card up in a hex editor such as WinHex what are you seeing in there? Does it look like random data or just all zeros, FF, etc.

SD cards often fail without warning, so trying to use software is futile if the hardware is bad.