MicroSD Card Showing 30mb

MShalom

I have an SD Card that was owned by a now deceased mother of young orphans. The picture memories of her with her children are on the SD card. The problem we are having is that the computer is showing the card capacity as 30mb (which I assume is the boot partition) and we cannot access the rest of the data. All recovery software cannot get the pictures off the SD card as it can only access the 30 mb part of the disk. On disk manager as well it is only showing the capacity of the card as 30mb. The only way we have seen to fix the problem is by creating a partition and then formatting the card using chkdsk. We have not seen a way to fix the sd card and at the same time save the photos themselves. Does anyone have an idea what to do.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
No!!! Do not create a partition and/or format it. That would be data destructive. If disk manager is only showing the card as 30Mb then there's a bigger problem than your partition table.

It could be that the card has failed and is now reporting the wrong size, or it could even be that the card was a fake from the beginning. There is a lot of flash media being sold on eBay that has had the size spoofed to look big when in fact it's actually a tiny size.

arvika

This size usually means problem with controller or it;s software. Data should be recoverable, but need read memory directly from nand module.

MShalom

Thank you. A direct nand read is definitely above me and I would have to send it out. What if the controller is also overheating - can we still do the nand read?

Bolo

Yes - in most cases it can be still readed. If it's creating short that block NAND access controller need to be cut out