Mass influx of thumbdrives showing up

pclab

What's the main problem of getting data from a flash?
The tools don't identify the chip automaticaly?

arvika

No, usually it detects correctly. Of course nand pads must be clean. It is common engineer neglect. If is clean, ID should be recognize without problem. All three common tools have wide config resources.
Common problem is in my opinion:
- problem with XORs, mixes, assembling image
- monolith devices
- not so good engineer knowledge about flash technology ;)

I know that mathematics hurts, but with flash that is the only way :/

pclab

Hi Arvika

Can you share a precise case you have where you get problems, and need Math?! eheheh
When do this happens? What type of problems?

arvika

If soft is click and play you don't need math ;) But it works only for case which are in DB of tool already. For all new case or with different nands/controller/XOR you need figure out how reverse controller work. For example here is the link about BCH alghoritm (use in ECC):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCH_code

In VNR you can make own ECC by BCH object for new controllers.
SM2236 cases usually use interlace. So empty pages must be cut (mathematic operation).
In every case you must set correct sector geometry etc etc. Mathematic is everywhere ;)

pclab

Holy crap eheheheh
Not easy at all....
But if we got a tool with a good database and that is updated by them, the job will be easier.
Right?

arvika

Yes, of course! But if you have new case usually you must wait for support (usually it takes a lot of time to develop new XOR, assembler etc for support team). If client hurry, you can do own research in some tools but as I mention before some knowledge will be needed.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
That's why I'm just gonna hire you to remotely handle that stuff when the need arises. Then I can go play golf and still be making money off your sweat labor. :D

HaQue

"In VNR you can make own ECC by BCH object for new controllers." Holy cow, brainhurt!

main problem is there are no "Main Problems".

there are around, I would say, 20 common problems, but add to that the uncommon ones. if you take a flash drive you can break it down to several seperate components, all quite separate and with their own subset of potential problems, and all somewhat interchangeable:

PCB - Broken, traces broken, bad solder, bad design, discreet failure, component unsoldered, overheat... etc
Controller chip - un"cracked", uses hard to figure out methods, encrypted etc
NAND Chip - poor quality, damaged, dirty pins, no pinout, need power mod, not figured out all CE, overheated causing damage, shorted, use different system than reader (3d nand or whatever I guess), needs block cut or image cut or some other transformation
Firmware - corrupt, encrypting, dynamic xor etc, different XOR, U3, CDROM partitions, weird security..
DATA - corrupt, erased, not have file format supported,
Filesystem - corrupted, unsupported, Damaged FAT etc
Wear levelling - dynamic XOR, complex mixes like block rotate, divide, strange things like block pair 0x100000000

also might have things like 5 separate PS2251-67-5 devices with all different layout/xor/mix etc

plus you never know what is inside a drive till you pop it open

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I've tried changing the thread title to correct the misspelling but the replies keep reverting even after I edit them. Sorry, but the forum will do well for the keyword "tumbdrives" now. LOL

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
There we go, I added a word censor to replace that other word we can't type now with "thumbdrives"