Mass influx of thumbdrives showing up

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Amarbir[CDR-Labs said:
":j12ay109]Disagree ,
A DR Guy Should Have All Tools

Yeah, unless they are Salvation Data tools. :shock:

I know as SSDs grow in popularity I'll have to get more into flash recovery, but for now I'm with PClab. Its just easier to outsource it and stick to the hard drives. Besides, by the time that SSD recoveries are our main business better tools will exist and the current ones will likely have been a waste of money.

HaQue

I wouldn't wait too long to get into Flash recovery if you believe at all that SSD's will take over.

Flash Recoveries are deceptively difficult to do regularly, and time consuming. There is quite a steep learning curve when you first start doing Flash. Flash is evolving very fast, NANDs are getting more complex than just a huge array of bytes, and controllers are getting more complex with more wear levelling algo's being very difficult, new XOR schemes and encryption.., and if you are going to start that curve after another year or 2 development on this stuff, you have a very hard starting point.

Right now, aside from sandforce debacle, a good number of SSDs are basically just large flash drives. This wont continue for long I suspect with vendors starting to lock down their drives.. making it harder to RE and harder to recover.

Also with HDD, you can say this model of WD drives are known for XYZ, This Seagate has compatible part numbers 001abc... Hard Drives are to some extent a known entity.. But for most flash drives there is going to be a mystery what is inside.. and even over the space of 3 months in the exact same looking, same labelled drive you could have any number of differing NANDs, controllers, PCB and differing recovery steps and values. Try telling the difference between 20 Verbatim Store-n-Go flash drives bought over the last 4 years... all look EXACTLY the same ;-)

As for the tools, we have exactly 1 new tool (VNR) over the last 3 years. I cant see anyone coming out with anything that will rival that anytime soon, and there are only 2 other tools worth anything anyway.

As vendors do not give out really anything that helps DR and DR Tool vendors, all of it is either reverse engineered or guess due to experience of similar know chips and algo's..

Basically what I am saying is waiting could mean you are left behind.

But if you are busy fixing Hard drives, then you might not have the time to spend on flash, so it is going to be a decision on where you want to spend your time.

lcoughey

If you price your services for the lowest bidders, you will never make any money. I have those who need the data and will pay the price...when the volume goes up, I can consider bringing the prices down.

arvika

pclab":1352skhb said:
I had a few too last days/weeks.
I haven't invested on a Flash tool yet, because the problem is that very very few clients are willing to pay more that 30/40€ to recover a flash drive.
If that doesn't pay the time, how will it pay the tool?
For now, it's not on my plans...

You can buy only reader. Sergey reader cost only 210$, so not much. Than you can read dumps and upload to someone which have actually license for tools like FE, VNR, PC3K. I quite often makes recovery like this for reasonable price.

pclab

This week-end I had a drive from a guy who own a PC3K flash tool,
He said it was a bad business, because he can't get enough money from it and he's willing to sell it, even borrow it to me to test heheheh
We didn't talk money....
What do you guys think?

lcoughey

I charge no less than $500 CAD, which is currently about $400 USD, for chip-off recoveries. But, I give a 20% reseller discount, where I get most of my work. So, drop another 20%, making it $400 CAD / $320 USD. So, for me, I need at least 7 successful recoveries to start making a profit for VNR, which I'm currently trying to purchase sooner than later.

SD Flash - was given to me - 0% success rate, no payback to worry about
Soft Center - purchased & paid for updates a couple of times - about 30% success rate, not sure that I even came close to breaking even
PC3K Flash - purchased & continue to pay for updates - about 60% success rate (doesn't have the BGA152 adapter that I need most of the time), certainly has paid for itself, but not huge profits

HaQue

The only way I see flash viable is to only do flash, which is hard, and might not even work..! but here's hoping ;)

arvika

Friends, it is only tools (better or little worse). Power of flash recoveries is in your head ;) Now flash is much more complicated than few years ago. It is very mathematical, algorithmic and cryptology.