Manipulated WD Case

pcn

Hi all :)

just want to share a bizarre case I had today. Client called and said he was at a other DR store but it only was a drop-off point and he had doubts if he should leave it there. So he called us. He told me that the drive stopped working yesterday, could not be mounted but spins, leds and so on.

I checked the drive and everything looked quite good except the drive did not ID and shows no capacity. All modules were fine, I tried this and that and it took quite some time until I figured out something strange (see attached pics). But CS is fine.

I can not think of anything that would cause a hdd so act like this and at the end recalculate the checksum :evil:

I called the client again and he is not willing to tell anything: "No, the drive was not anywhere else"

Anyway. I loaded a matching mod02 (2TB), adjusted maxlba to 1.5 TB, did the CS and now the drive images with atm not a singe bad sector :mrgreen:

So if you have a case like that, don't trust the module check and look at module 02, just in case :)

Kind regards,
pcn

Attachments

• ID01.png
    ID01.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 695
  • ID02.png
    ID02.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 695
  • ID03.png
    ID03.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 695

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So the other lab tweaked module 02 to look like it was in kernel mode when it really was just fine. Nice.

pcn

Not even kernal mode, the drive loaded the mod02 as it was not blocked. But SN and capacity was missing and setmaxlba failed because of that. Nice try :)