M.2 Data Recovery

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone had any of these new M.2 SSD drives come in for recovery yet? I'd imagine that even PC-3000 SSD can't interface with them given the PCI-Express format used.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Alright, I just got my first M.2 SSD in for recovery. It's an Intel PRO 1500 SSD SSDSCKHF240A4L PCI-E 240G and isn't being recognized on any equipment I have. Does anyone have a chip off solution for these? I assume there isn't any other option for M.2 SSD's yet. I don't think anything else can interface with them.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I have some similar ones (though they are PCI Express not SATA) and I have that exact one on order from Newegg. I just wonder if even PC-3000 for SSD can interface thorough the SATA adapter. Anyone here who's tried it?

vrocco

I obviously have not since I don't even have my PC-3000 yet, but to slightly hijack your thread, would you say the PC-3000 SSD is worth the extra investment? Have you been able to do a lot with it that you wouldn't be able to do otherwise?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I don't actually have it, but I've heard that it's pretty good at addressing some firmware bugs and allowing data access on some models without having to resort to a chip off recovery.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
As an update to this ancient thread. PC-3000 SSD works fine with M.2 SSDs so long as they are the ones that have actual SATA lanes. If it's a PCIe only, we're going to have to either do chip off recovery or wait for a new tool to arrive.

COD

Jared":2hgarapo said:
As an update to this ancient thread. PC-3000 SSD works fine with M.2 SSDs so long as they are the ones that have actual SATA lanes. If it's a PCIe only, we're going to have to either do chip off recovery or wait for a new tool to arrive.

Chip off is not possibile becouse of encryption in SSD drives . Deepspar has a tool for pcie ssd drives but I do not know is it good or not.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
COD":9q2yof5h said:
Jared":9q2yof5h said:

Chip off is not possibile becouse of encryption in SSD drives . Deepspar has a tool for pcie ssd drives but I do not know is it good or not.

Not all SSDs use encryption, though most newer ones are heading that way. Many older ones have been successfully done via chip-off. DDI is little more than an imaging tool, even for the PCIe based SSDs. So it's not going to help in cases where the firmware is at fault. We've got to wait for Ace to develop a solution for that issue.

datahaze

COD":d4yg9spd said:
Jared":d4yg9spd said:

Even with the encryption, chip-off will still work to recover the encrypted data. All that needs to be done is to build a translator/decrypter for it.