Staff member
I'm looking for a donor for the following drive:

Model: ST1000LM024
P/N: HN-M101MBB/AV2
Rev. A
F/W: 2BA30001
DOM: 01/2014
Site: DGT

Existing heads are all mangled, so I can't check what the preamp number is.

Here's a picture of the label:
20160726_141945.jpg

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
You know what, nevermind. I think I just found a good donor in a pile of old drives I had already here.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
jol":3oam1r9v said:
Jared":3oam1r9v said:
Existing heads are all mangled, so I can't check what the preamp number is.
But you can get the platform I'd from the ROM

I'll have to look into that. To be honest, I haven't done that many Samsung head swaps to notice you could read it from the ROM. Regardless, the case is already solved and data recovered.

Thanks!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I wasn't very optimistic about this one either with how mangled the heads were. Only told the customer to expect 30% chance of success.

Then the donor I order they ship an entirely wrong drive, which was just close enough I figured it was worth a try (didn't work). Finally I discovered I had one in an old bin of drives I had.

lcoughey

I frequently get variations of this model of drive, almost all with stuck heads because they were dropped within the portable Seagate drive enclosure. Of those that weren't tampered with before we received them, at least 90% were recoverable at our minor recovery rate of $350 without a head change.

For those that were previously opened by technicians, the heads were all mangled and usually accompanied with fingerprints and scratches on the platters.