Laminar Air Flow/Clean Bench

Hello gurus and colligues,
I would like to purchase new Laminar Air Flow/Clean Bench can anybody how important and which type is best for data recovery VERRTICAL FLOW OR HORIZONTAL.
THANKS.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
As long as it's Laminar it shouldn't matter if it's vertical or horizontal. I use a vertical airflow one just like the one shown on this page: http://www.sentryair.com/specs/40in%20P ... 20Hood.htm

And it works great. I use active monitoring of the air quality and it's able to consistently maintain 0 particles measured. I generally run it on high for around five minutes or until the monitor has read zero for a while. Then I drop the speed down to medium so the airflow isn't so strong that it blows anything around.

LarrySabo

My personal preference is for horizontal flow, because I find that most contamination comes into the chamber on the drives, especially from under the cover lid edges. These (and any particles on tools, hands, etc.) tend to fall down onto the top platter and my thought was that horizontal flow would help to clear these before hitting the top platter. As Jared said, it probably doesn't matter which you choose.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
LarrySabo":nmmh37tf said:
My personal preference is for horizontal flow, because I find that most contamination comes into the chamber on the drives, especially from under the cover lid edges. These (and any particles on tools, hands, etc.) tend to fall down onto the top platter and my thought was that horizontal flow would help to clear these before hitting the top platter. As Jared said, it probably doesn't matter which you choose.

I agree with your thoughts about contaminants coming from the top cover. It's why I always open my drives upside down inside my down flow cabinet. That way the dust is forced down and hopefully doesn't get too much on the platters. However even if it does, it's nothing some good clean room swabs can't remove before you close it up.

Jared":1d2pdbw0 said:
LarrySabo":1d2pdbw0 said:

I agree with your thoughts about contaminants coming from the top cover. It's why I always open my drives upside down inside my down flow cabinet. That way the dust is forced down and hopefully doesn't get too much on the platters. However even if it does, it's nothing some good clean room swabs can't remove before you close it up.

Hello ,
I am planning to get a Air compressor the smallest i can get fix it in the office somewhere ,Then use plumbing pipe to take that air to three location ,2 of my cleanrooms and 1 to my hdd inspection area .I could blow away tough dust from under the lid using a air gun attached to this before starting the surgery .This will hall a lot ,Then i use swabs dipped in the magic liquid i have and clean the sides before i start ,These 3.5" drives are a mess with side dust .I also use a neat trick after i pack the hdd back so that all dust matrices left behind are gone to the back of the filter inside

Keithjug

This. How could a fan only push air? Where is it magically materializing this new air from? It comes from somewhere, and that somewhere is the opposite side of the case from where the fan feels like its pushing.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Keithjug":vjf8hyro said:
This. How could a fan only push air? Where is it magically materializing this new air from? It comes from somewhere, and that somewhere is the opposite side of the case from where the fan feels like its pushing.

I would imagine the plan is to have a HEPA filter that it's sucking the air through before compressing it (assuming you're referring to Amarbir's idea).