iPod Data Recovery

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
What do you guys use to recover data from iPods? This is the first time I'm met someone willing to pay for recovery from one.

ScotchBroth

You'd use the same thing that you'd use on an iPhone. Since we do dual digital forensics and data recovery we generally use the Cellebrite UFED or AccessData's MPE for those types of jobs. Stuff like BlackLight should work as well. What's going on with the ipod?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like it's got bad sectors, so it started acting up. The guy reset it thinking that would help and lost all his music in the process. I can read some sectors through the iPod, but it keeps going unresponsive. The data on the drive doesn't appear to be in any special format, just regular old FAT. But, it's a stupid CE-ATA hard drive (only two models ever made with this interface). Looks like LIF or ZIF but much smaller. I'm waiting for another USB adapter to come in and hoping it works better than reading through the ipod, so I can ddrescue it. I wish there were a way to SATA or IDE connect to a hardware imager, but unfortunately it's built on MMC technology and doesn't have a straightforward conversion path to either. Fun, fun, fun.

Welcome to the forum by the way. I think you may have tried to PM me, but my box was full so I didn't get it. Fixed the setting that was blocking it, so that shouldn't happen again. :D