Skyclad
Data Recovery Noob

In DE better to save folders and the files or create a map?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:07 am

Hi Guys,
usually I always created a map of the most important folders and files and then I performed the scan, but I saw that some guys especially after heads swap using the option "save marked folders".

In this way you have the same good control regarding the setting (jump, timeout..etc) and furthermore you can deliver to the customer the good and bad data in two separate folders.

This way probably speeds up the data delivery process, but maybe it is more stressful for the HSA.
I did some testing on drives with many bad sectors and I must say that the result was good. In the damage folder many photos were almost good.

What do you think guys about it?

Thanks for the reply

Jared
Forum Admin

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:02 pm

The nice thing about creating a map is that you can image the sectors sequentially. If the drive is struggling or has replacement heads, it'll image much faster and with far less risk than jumping around like crazy just reading files based on their MFT entry. If there's nothing wrong with the drive, I suppose it wouldn't matter.

I think what you are seeing some guys do is just a hack way or skipping the proper imaging phase, and just starting to copy data.

Skyclad
Data Recovery Noob

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:59 pm

You're right Jared, although during the building maps of folders the heads jumping here and there, but surely less stressful than copy.

Unfortunately after the map of the folders sometimes (especially with file system HFS +) you have to scan with data recovery SW and this can be time consuming.

About those guys I’ll try ask them.

Thanks for reply Jared

Jared
Forum Admin

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:14 pm

Skyclad wrote:Source of the post You're right Jared, although during the building maps of folders the heads jumping here and there, but surely less stressful than copy.

You're right about that. That's why I generally image by used sector bitmap instead of by file. Unless I know it's just one important folder I want to grab first.

Skyclad
Data Recovery Noob

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:25 pm

Right Jared the bitmap is a valid option, also for unusual file system (Hfs+).

Return to “PC-3000 Forum”