Imation 16GB flash drive recovery

Sam

I believe I need to pass this on to someone.

After some work on the circuitry, the hardware is recognized but the storage is not. The Deepspar identifies the model, etc but shows 0 capacity. I've determined that the controller chip is likely the culprit.
Typically I'd try a different controller chip or transplant the flash memory chips to a donor flash drive. Well this one's so old that I can't find a donor. Or an exact match for the controller chip.

The controller is a Phison PS2233-F. I have many flash drives with very similar component layouts, values, same capacity flash memory chips, etc but they use a Phison PS2251-65. I found a datasheet for this controller but not the PS2233 so am unable to compare them to see if they might be compatible. And I don't want to throw a 2251 on there and potentially damage the flash memory chip.
Can anyone verify if these 2 controllers might be compatible for this configuration?
If not, or if I can't find a datasheet for the PS2233 to verify for myself, would someone with a flash reader/extractor like to take on this recovery? It might be a relatively straightforward one: a total of 2 documents need to be recovered and after the recovery there would be no need for return shipping--files can be transferred electronically. Also, it would need to be completed by April 23.

Attachments

• flash1.jpg
    flash1.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 1,514
  • flash2.jpg
    flash2.jpg
    873.5 KB · Views: 1,514

jol

Oh, Jared has a reader, he is located in RI
When you have a dump, you are not restricted only the US, you can send it to anyone in the world, through the internet

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
jol":21wuckdz said:
Oh, Jared has a reader, he is located in RI
When you have a dump, you are not restricted only the US, you can send it to anyone in the world, through the internet

HAHA, I was leaving this one to see if anyone else really wanted it. :D

Assuming that we need to do a chip off recovery, you're probably looking at $450 for us to do the recovery here in RI.

jol

Jared":3ri8u60m said:
HAHA, I was leaving this one to see if anyone else really wanted it. :D
He said, he wants someone from the US only + a reputable...
1. I'm not in the US
2. Not reputable ;)

Sam

I realize there are plenty of non-US reputable guys that could work with the dump, I just am not going to ship this overseas to get the off-chip extraction done :)
I'll talk this over with my customer Jared and probably give you a ring!