If .jpeg opens but does not display image.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
timebandit":377hqqcl said:
What program is best to fix pictures? I bought Phoenix Stellar recovery also.
A jpeg that doesn't open after data recovery is usually because the wrong data was recovered. Either because the data was overwritten or its reading in the wrong place for the data. Fixing it is generally the wrong idea. Recovering it correctly is the course of action needed.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Joep

I agree that files that are corrupt after recovery, in general are incorrectly recovered files and as such can not be repaired. Often they contain random data or part of image data is missing (often due to fragmentation on FAT32 or exFAT formatted media: memory cards).

Files that are corrupt due to a corrupt 'header' may be fix-able by applying an intact header, shot/created with the same software/camera and settings. I recently created a utility to make that a tad easier than using a hex editor: JPG-Repair. Already have I been able to repair files that Stellar JPEG Repair failed to fix.

Shameless plug: https://www.disktuna.com/jpgrepair-fix- ... d-markers/

Free version works, except for batch mode.

Joep

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Because of how jpg compression works, even one missing sector will throw off the color stream of the rest of the image. it can be corrected, but requires more than just a hex editor.