Hurricane Harvey Data Recovery

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I was thinking about offering a good discount on data recovery services for the flood victims of Hurricane Harvey. But, then I saw this:

DS Free.jpg

That's a pretty hard price to compete with. I've got friends in San Antonio. Maybe I'll have them submit a couple of my nightmare cases for me :lol:

I'm betting there is some underhanded way they are looking to get paid. Probably are just offering "free" then convincing people they can get their insurance companies to pay them $2K a pop for recovery.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Actually I see they say this:
must contact DriveSavers and ship their device no later than September 15th 2017

And then they say this:
DriveSavers will accept as many water-damaged devices that it can. However, it may limit the number of free recoveries based on the company’s workload, cost of parts and availability of personnel.

So by the time anyone even realizes they've lost data, the "free" recovery period will already be over.

Perhaps I'll post a reasonable discount with a reasonable time frame and actually off it. Not just a stupid PR stunt offer like this.

LarrySabo

I think there's a risk of being seen as opportunistic if word gets out that recovery is not free in some cases.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
LarrySabo":13tv7kl6 said:
[post]8512[/post] I think there's a risk of being seen as opportunistic if word gets out that recovery is not free in some cases.

Aren't most of these larger companies run on opportunistic sales pitches? The typical DriveSavers customer is flat out told that there's no other company in the world who can recover their data. Yet, we routinely recover cases that they previously quoted and we do it for 1/3 the price. Sometimes even ones they deemed "unrecoverable".