HTS545050A7E380 stay busy after head swap

emir_has

HI
Patient drive HTS545050A7E380 and donor drive is HTS545050A7E680. P/N identical. Patient MLC: DA6022 and donor DA6129. Product date patient 26Nov2014 and donor Jan 2014.
I have made head swap and drive starts i hear spindle and no clicking but the driver stays busy. I have checked PCB of patient and it get DRD DSC in less then minute without HDA. Also disk get DRD DSC after few minutes but no access to SA or open modules.
Before head swap disk was clicking with original heads and I had no SA access. ROM and NV-RAM are backuped.

Can someone help me with this situation??
THX

I use PC3K as tool.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
pclab":5y0qpolt said:
Maybe heads not fully compatible...

+1 to that. I'd try finding a better matched donor. Same model number and preferably the same MLC.

emir_has

Thanks guys for help. I will try other donor same model and same P/N. I have found same model and same P/N, but MLC doesn't match. I hope that I will have more luck today.

I will report if I succeed. :)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget too, you might be able to use a different capacity drive as long as all heads are present. I've used 320Gb drives to recover 500Gb like that, just as long as it has all necessary heads. When matching across capacity the MLC will all match except for one digit.

emir_has

Hi

I have to report that i didnt have luck niether with new donor. I repeat that patient was HTS545050A7E380 P/N: H2T500854S7 MLC: DA6022 Made in China Nov2014 and new donor was HTS545050A7E380 P/N: H2T500854S7 MLC: DA4837 Made in China 25April2013.
After head swap drive spins up and start clicking and making noise "khhhrrrrrr" :)
So I thought that donor HSA is gone now. But I return it to donor and drive starts normaly and work properly so at least I was happy that i didn't loose another donor.
So, my conclusion is that Hitachi is not tolerant as you said Jared in earlier post. :)
Or my luck of enough knowledge is about? Comment please?!
I have to contact client to see if she is will wait for about month to order from donordrives.com new donor with totaly same MLC and closer date of manufacturing.
Thanks

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
emir_has":u6d8bz6v said:
[post]10050[/post] So, my conclusion is that Hitachi is not tolerant as you said Jared in earlier post.

I said:

Jared":u6d8bz6v said:
[post]10029[/post] Same model number and preferably the same MLC

You didn't use one with the same MLC in either attempt. You're just trying drives that are too far off specs wise. Hitachi's are pretty forgiving when it comes to date and site, even capacity. But, you've got to match some specs.

MLC I'm pretty sure (and I know someone will argue this) means something to the effect of Manufacturing Listing Code. So whenever that number changes some part of the drive has changed. Maybe it's just something with the PCB, or it could be different heads/preamp/media. It's best to match the MLC whenever possible (unless crossing capacity in which case just one digit will be different). Sometimes you can get away with using one with a different MLC but not always.

jol

emir_has":frcithhr said:
[post]10050[/post]I have to contact client to see if she is will wait for about month to order from donordrives.com new donor
A MONTH ?
why ?
where are you located ?
on the moon ? :roll:
BTW you're looking on the wrong P/N

emir_has

Hi

I m in Bosnia Europe. Last time I wait 40 days from donordrives.com to deliver. I dont know why is so slow but is slow. Usualy from USA we get mail in 21 days but somethings is slowing.
Thanks