HP dat 24 tape

pclab

Hey Guys

Got a situation here.
A client brought an old HP server and a bad SCSI HDD.
The PC have a HP Dat 24 tape drive and he claims that the tapes should have backups on them (he brought 5 tapes). But he doesn't know how the backups were made, which software, nothing....
I tried to use Z-Dat Dump software to try to access the files, but it says that the tapes are empty.....
Does anyone know how can I "mount" the tape drive, so that Rstudio or similar can try to find data on them?

Thanks

Blizzard

If the backed up OS was Windows Server you can try to catalog the tape using MS backup from a similar version of Windows server. If not then see if the customer has a CD for a backup program called Tapeware. Tapeware was bundled with some older HP Tape Drives and supported Windows and Linux. I'm not positive but I think the company that made Tapeware was purchased by Barracuda Networks. There is a free downwload on the Brothersoft website but I'm not sure how safe that site is. There are so many options for backup software this is just a shot in the dark.
Sorry I don't know of any way to mount the tape. hopefully someone else has more/better info for you.

pclab

Thanks Blizzard.
The problem is that the guy doesn't also know how it was working....
What a mess.....

pclab

Most probably.....
I wonder why they should have so many blank tapes :mrgreen: :mrgreen: