How to Read ROM Through Terminal on WD My Passport and Elements USB Drives

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So I realize that often with WD My Passport and Elements drives you can't always read the ROM code through the USB connection. Some models simply don't allow it even if the drive is fully functional. On many models you can gain access to read the ROM code through a terminal connection. Below is a picture of how to use the Samsung Adapter to terminal connect to these drives:

Sometimes you'll still need to attach the PCB to a drive with a piece of paper blocking the preamp contacts so that only the motor is connected before you can get terminal access. This can also work for the Boot ROM Utility, but you have to practice a bit with the timing of plugging the USB cable in and pressing the OK button. Hope it helps.Passport Solution.jpg

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
It should be fixed now. I had to move the uploads folder, so some older posts had broken links in them.

protech

Hi,
I have a few cases of WD USB drives that i need to swap with SATA PCB. I have compatible SATA PCB ready. Could you please direct me towards tread with a clear direction of how to Read/Write ROM from the patient to the Donner using the PC3000? i can see that i can use the Samsung adapter, but i can't seem to find the steps to Read the ROM from the patient PCB to the Donner PCB. I would appreciate any reply

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Some USB drives will just outright allow reading of the ROM via com connection just using the WD Marvell USB utility. Other's require that you use the Boot ROM Code method (keeping in mind that the USB cord acts as your power switch).

protech

Ok, I have been able to read the ROM from the patient (771814) and write to a 771820 SATA PCB. in both cases it finished saying OK so i assume the process went right. so i screwed the SATA board on the patient drive and the drive came ready after a few clicks. when i started the utility it was detected without Model, Serial, FW, or capacity. Where did i went wrong?
BTW, i am a member in other DR forums too but this is where i got the swiftest replies. So a big THANK YOU. :D

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes the revision of the board can make a difference. I usually aim for a later revision such as REV P verses a earlier one like REV A. I find they are compatible more often.