vrocco
Data Recovery Noob

How to Read ROM Through Terminal on WD My Passport and Elements USB Drives

Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:23 pm

Can someone give me a quick hand with this. I think I have the serial adapter hooked up correctly and I have a piece of paper in between the board and drive. I still keep getting an error. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Tried in BootROM mode and got the error below. Can’t identify the drive in normal mode.

04B16419-9D10-4C9B-B215-EE0D8377919F.jpeg
30509D5F-852D-43DE-88B4-5AA68ACAC6A5.jpeg

Jared
Forum Admin

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:29 am

You have to plug in the USB cable to power the PCB after the terminal is already sending the boot ROM code signal.

vrocco
Data Recovery Noob

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:10 am

Could you clarify that? I am following the prompts in pc3000. Power drive off and plug in serial terminal. Power drive on.

I don't get anything on the TX or RX lights on the terminal. Board is 771737 (Rev A). Connected with Samsung adapter.

Does anyone have a pinout for the drive and the terminal so I can just try connecting the needed pins instead of using an adapter?

Jared
Forum Admin

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:34 pm

The bottom corner two pins are RX and TX. I forget which is which, but you've got a 50/50 shot at guessing right the first time.

Jared
Forum Admin

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:57 pm

Also, there's no need to block the preamp with paper. In fact it's better not to do that. If it starts to spin, you know it didn't receive the boot signal. You'll know it received it when it doesn't try to spin.

pclab
Forum Moderator

Sun May 17, 2020 6:11 am

After I started using the WD 2,5" adapter, I never had any more problems to connect to Boot COM.
Attachments
WD2,5.jpeg
WD2,5.jpeg (2.84 KiB) Viewed 111 times
www.pclab.com.pt
facebook.com/PCLAB.Assistencia.Tecnica

DigitalVeriKurtarma
Data Recovery Novice

Sun May 17, 2020 6:57 pm

vrocco wrote:Can someone give me a quick hand with this. I think I have the serial adapter hooked up correctly and I have a piece of paper in between the board and drive. I still keep getting an error. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Tried in BootROM mode and got the error below. Can’t identify the drive in normal mode.

04B16419-9D10-4C9B-B215-EE0D8377919F.jpeg
30509D5F-852D-43DE-88B4-5AA68ACAC6A5.jpeg

My experience;
Some models doesn't allow read rom by this way.
Some models if bad heads doesn't allow read rom by this way.
Sometimes need long wait till drive busy mode end ( assume waiting time with experience )
Sometimes remove PCB-hsa connection would work.
(Using MRT)
Data Recovery In Turkey
DigitalVeriKurtarma.com

Jared
Forum Admin

Mon May 18, 2020 5:25 pm

DigitalVeriKurtarma wrote:Source of the post Some models doesn't allow read rom by this way

100% of Seagate drives work this way. At least if you have PC-3000 and know how to connect terminal they do.
DigitalVeriKurtarma wrote:Source of the post Sometimes need long wait till drive busy mode end

I don't think you know what boot rom code is my friend. There's zero wait time, and the status indicators will never go ready during it.

DigitalVeriKurtarma wrote:Source of the post Sometimes remove PCB-hsa connection would work.

It makes no difference whether or not the PCB is connected to the HDA. If it receives the boot ROM code signal over TTL it'll never even attempt to communicate with the preamp or spin up the motor.

DigitalVeriKurtarma
Data Recovery Novice

Wed May 20, 2020 10:31 am

Jared wrote:
DigitalVeriKurtarma wrote:Source of the post Some models doesn't allow read rom by this way

100% of Seagate drives work this way. At least if you have PC-3000 and know how to connect terminal they do.
DigitalVeriKurtarma wrote:Source of the post Sometimes need long wait till drive busy mode end

I don't think you know what boot rom code is my friend. There's zero wait time, and the status indicators will never go ready during it.

DigitalVeriKurtarma wrote:Source of the post Sometimes remove PCB-hsa connection would work.

It makes no difference whether or not the PCB is connected to the HDA. If it receives the boot ROM code signal over TTL it'll never even attempt to communicate with the preamp or spin up the motor.

Havent saw "boot room " in that message . Thx
Data Recovery In Turkey
DigitalVeriKurtarma.com

Return to “Data Recovery Tutorials”