How to Clone a Hard Drive With Bad Sectors Using ddrescue

Thanks a lot!

KNOPPIX boot so fastly, and ddrescue is very easy to use. I did a test, I cloned my 20GB Seagate Drive, Then use R-Studio to scan, really much faster!

juan.ictech

hi there, this would be my first post
I am also using ddrescue for about 6 years know and then I invest in hardware tools and my recovering success went up a lot, but I am running out of tools and need to use ddrescue as backup. But here is where I struggle with the new version.

I can start and .img from any input file ( -i ) and that work great and the reverse image works great, but say I skipped from 5gig to 20gig due to a lot of read errors then I cant go back to ( -i5gig ) to retry the skipped sectors. It keeps on imaging where I last stopped it. in the old version I was able to jump back and forth but not any more

Regards
Juan

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I honestly haven't noticed that issue. But, I also generally just image the full disk or a single partition rather than jump ahead. These days, with all the tools at my disposal I really only use ddrescue for SAS drives or other odd media like ZIP drives. Maybe someone else knows more about this issue and how to possibly work around it....

jimmy5

ok thanks =)
but how long does 1TB usually take to scan? i'm currently wondering if the USB cable has actually switched itself into USB2.0 or USB1.0 mode because it says that the scan will take 8 hours...

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Scanning over USB can be painfully slow. USB 3.0 isn't bad, but you have to be sure your dock/adapter is a USB 3 one and not the more common USB 2. If you can SATA connect the drive where the image is stored it's even faster.

jimmy5

ok thanks =)
but i think that it actually only found the files of the previous owner, lol (he had lots of games on it)
so i guess that ddrescue didnt actually copy anything, but just made the drive undetectable in Windows? (it shows it in disk manager, but no drive letter is under my comp....)
and i guess i can just wipe it again and just start using it and later take the failed drive to a pro...