How to Clone a Hard Drive With Bad Sectors Using ddrescue

Boogie

sorry but i dont know how to update my post that is being moderated...
UPDATE:
so, i unplugged device(failing) and replugged in(sata directly as per tut).
restarted under the initial parameters (i DID try to include the direct -d parameter as i read this might help the unaligned read error but this gave me a permission denied error-yes i did note that jared advised against using this but i am about 36 hours into this nightmare ballache so will try almost anything.EXCEPT SEAGATE HDDS EVER AGAIN!ha)
and the test seems to be continuing..
i have a feeling this is gonna take FOREVER...
1.2tb of a 12tb (PIECE OF ****-sorry) seagate
oh lord...

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Most likely the drive just froze due to hitting a bad sector and was able to resume after you power cycled it. If it hangs again, try just unplugging the SATA casble (the data one) but leave the power connected. Often that'll allow the drive to continue imaging without the added stress of having to boot itself up again.

Aresime

What do I do if fdisk -l can't find the corrupted HD?

If use a SATA to USB adapter and plug it on my Mac, it's kinda hit-or-miss but I can see the disk in Disk Utility, though I can't access it. And it never shows up in Finder.

nissimezra

Aresime":8p1uqkcw said:
What do I do if fdisk -l can't find the corrupted HD?

If use a SATA to USB adapter and plug it on my Mac, it's kinda hit-or-miss but I can see the disk in Disk Utility, though I can't access it. And it never shows up in Finder.
Hit or miss mean it's the end of the drive.
How do you connect the drive? To a pc?

If the data is important stop playing with it. The more you do the more you damaged the drive.

Kanga

I wish I had found this forum earlier as it may have saved me some grief. I have no previous experience of using Linux commands and have been tearing my hair out trying to work out the solution.
I have (I think) cloned an internal HDD to a 2TB external drive using ddrescue booted from a Clonezilla command line interface. I have had to clean and reformat the internal HDD as it was corrupted and now want to restore the image to it.

I have an image.dd file on the external HDD but cannot work out how to get it recognised in the terminal. The result of my attempts to copy result in -
"ddrescue: Can't open input file: Not a directory"

I think that when I was following the instructions from an article I screwed up the mounting of the drive/drive path. Can anybody suggest the basic steps I need to make so it can pick up the file?

I have also created subsequently another partitions on the external drive with a copy of the file which probably does not help me. The dd file itself is 150GB.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Keep in mind that Linux is a case sensitive operating system. So /Folder/image is a completely different place than /folder/image or /folder/Image. If you're changing the capitalization at all, it's looking in the wrong place.

bigterd

Btrfs, zfs, anything with compression can be very helpful if working with a nearly empty drive....

Especially if you're going to have a few copies to play with while it's slowly scraping more data...

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Kanga

Jared":9390w8kg said:
Keep in mind that Linux is a case sensitive operating system. So /Folder/image is a completely different place than /folder/image or /folder/Image. If you're changing the capitalization at all, it's looking in the wrong place.

Yes thanks I finally managed to resolve it. Did not realise I had to keep creating the directory each time as using a bootable USB and then mounting it using the word "mount" which was not in the article I had been following..........