How do you charge for in-stock donors?

datahaze

I generally charge clients for donors at cost if they need to be ordered, how do you all charge for donors that you have in stock? I'm just now building up enough stock that I think this might happen soon, curious as to how other places handle it.

LarrySabo

My DR prices page says ...
• Prices assume the patient drive will be donated for recycling after the data is recovered, otherwise add $50.
• Prices shown are for drives up to 3TB. Add $50 per additional terabyte for larger drives.
• * If a donor drive is required for parts and we use one of our own, the parts charge will be $100.
• * If a donor needs to be ordered, its cost will be payable in advance and is non-refundable, no matter the outcome. We retain the donor after the recovery.

The $100 assumes the average donor cost is $300 and donors last 3 recoveries before being killed by bad platters (or my clumsiness :roll: ).

pclab

Actually I only charge for donor parts, If I see that the case is tough enough and the outcome could not be very good: for instance a drive with scratches, I alert the client that we could try to swap heads but if nothing comes out, the donor must be payed.

All other cases, I give them the quotes already with the price of donor included (if I have to ordered, the quote will also reflect that). If it's an already in stock donor, the quote would be cheaper.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I charge for replacement cost. So even if I have it in stock, I look on ebay, donordrives, etc. and see what it's going to cost for me to replace the drive. That's the fair market value, so why charge less than that? Do you sell a car for practically nothing just because you already own it or because you got it for a good deal from a friend/famly member? No, you sell for fair market value of what it's worth.

datahaze

Jared":qzf0bdg1 said:
I charge for replacement cost. So even if I have it in stock, I look on ebay, donordrives, etc. and see what it's going to cost for me to replace the drive. That's the fair market value, so why charge less than that? Do you sell a car for practically nothing just because you already own it or because you got it for a good deal from a friend/famly member? No, you sell for fair market value of what it's worth.

This is a very good way to look at it, thanks for this perspective Jared!