Help with external USB 3.0 WD Passport 2TB HDD

munz

Hi everyone, new here and wasn't sure where to post. Relatively simple issue: have an external hard drive, was saving my game files on this one and decided to partition it using Disk Management in Windows (Shrink Volume) to create a 390GB Recovery Partition.

It seems that entire hard drive (with the exception of 32GB) is now unallocated space (1830.98GB out of 1862.48GB). How I ended up with 32GB instead of the 390GB I don't understand. I only realised the issue when I went to start a game and it gave the option to download instead of run. Is there any way to save the data? Thanks in advance

munz

I have highlighted the partition in question in the attached image. When prompted, I had created the Recovery partition to be NTFS (unless it defaulted to FAT32?) That big chunk of unallocated space contains all my files. If anyone can advise whether it's possible to get it back and if so how, I would be grateful. If not please post the same so I may create a new partition and reinstall everything. Many thanks

Attachments

• diskmgmt.JPG
    diskmgmt.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 410

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
For the future, partition operations should only ever be run on a drive if the data is backed up or not important. There's a chance that a program such as testdisk can find and write back the original partitions to the table. It's from cgsecurity.

If that doesn't work, then you'd need to use data recovery such as R-Studio to get back the data.