Help. Platter full of fingerprints, is there hope?

w.simon

Hello

Search for "UPSCRATCH",

1- I don't know how it works and if its works really
2- I have nothing to do with them
3- Last time i talk about it with a customer, when i told him the price, he started to run (I'm think he now made his world Tour by foot)
4- Dianosys was 800€ and recovery cost started at 20K€ (yes 20 000 €) in 2014, must be reserved for critical case and perhaps law enforcement
5- Damn you can buy the full option iMac Pro for the begin price of recovery 20 K€

Intel Xeon W 18 cœurs à 2,3 GHz, Turbo Boost jusqu’à 4,3 GHz
256 Go de mémoire ECC DDR4 à 2 666 MHz
Radeon Pro Vega 64X avec 16 Go de mémoire HBM2
SSD de 4 To
Magic Mouse 2 + Magic Trackpad 2 - Gris sidéral
Kit de montage VESA pour iMac Pro - Gris sidéral
Magic Keyboard avec pavé numérique - Français - Gris sidéral
Final Cut Pro X
Logic Pro X

19 132,98 €

6- I'm out --> []

slingshot

Imadeamistake":2229erb5 said:
Do you think it's possible that in 10 years time, technology will make progress and my hard drive will become recoverable?

The technology and skills needed to do a job like this exist now.

The problem is this, nobody wants to work on it for free.

People on this forum can do the level of work required to prepare that drive for imaging but they wont do it for free. The minimum this would need to get somebody interested is an agreed day rate plus a number of donors, all paid up front, no matter of outcome. Go back a few pages on this thread, Jarad has already stated how a case like this would need to play out.

The fact nobody has chimed in and offered so far is because they are using them skills on jobs where we get paid and we can pay our bills. Your job is less attractive because it has been opened and had your fingers all over it. For somebody to put that right, takes a stack of time and donors, unfortunately for you, that has to be paid for, regardless of whether a recovery is possible or not.

Imadeamistake

slingshot":20xb4mqh said:
Imadeamistake":20xb4mqh said:
Do you think it's possible that in 10 years time, technology will make progress and my hard drive will become recoverable?

The technology and skills needed to do a job like this exist now.

The problem is this, nobody wants to work on it for free.

People on this forum can do the level of work required to prepare that drive for imaging but they wont do it for free. The minimum this would need to get somebody interested is an agreed day rate plus a number of donors, all paid up front, no matter of outcome. Go back a few pages on this thread, Jarad has already stated how a case like this would need to play out.

The fact nobody has chimed in and offered so far is because they are using them skills on jobs where we get paid and we can pay our bills. Your job is less attractive because it has been opened and had your fingers all over it. For somebody to put that right, takes a stack of time and donors, unfortunately for you, that has to be paid for, regardless of whether a recovery is possible or not.

Sean said that the fingerprints were removed and the situation seemed fine but then the replacement heads were destroyed almost instantly, so maybe the problem is something else.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Imadeamistake":2j8i39g8 said:
[post]14285[/post] Sean said that the fingerprints were removed and the situation seemed fine but then the replacement heads were destroyed almost instantly, so maybe the problem is something else.

What model is the drive? I ask because the chances anything can be done will largely rely on the specific architecture. WD for example, has a lot of possibilities that things can be done on many models. Seagate, you're probably already screwed.

pclab

Usually if heads are killed, that means media damage, and if that happens, there's no chance of recovery.
See a case I checked today. This is not possible anywhere (maybe the aliens can, who knows...)

Attachments

• IMG_20190625_114309.jpg
    IMG_20190625_114309.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 1,002

Imadeamistake

Jared":2ivw9kfj said:
Imadeamistake":2ivw9kfj said:
[post]14285[/post] Sean said that the fingerprints were removed and the situation seemed fine but then the replacement heads were destroyed almost instantly, so maybe the problem is something else.

What model is the drive? I ask because the chances anything can be done will largely rely on the specific architecture. WD for example, has a lot of possibilities that things can be done on many models. Seagate, you're probably already screwed.

It's a Western Digital My Book Studio 2TB External Hard Drive with Metal Enclosure.

Imadeamistake

pclab":dvx26qcv said:
Usually if heads are killed, that means media damage, and if that happens, there's no chance of recovery.
See a case I checked today. This is not possible anywhere (maybe the aliens can, who knows...)

Apart from the fingerprints (which Sean told me he was able to clean), the platter had no (visible) scratches at all.