Hello Everyone - from Colorado

ccground

Hi All - My names Chris Ground, I own a small computer repair shop and have been doing data recovery for about 10 years. Very good info from all of you on this forum, I just need to take time to keep up on it! Has become a part of my day when in data recovery mode. Thanks to all of you on here and I hope I can be of help to someone also down the road too.

LarrySabo

Yes, nice to welcome another computer repair shop that also does data recovery. I cringe when I read forum advice to "take it to a DR pro, not a computer repair shop" (although I know they mean shops that know squat about data recovery, likely to run HDD Regenerator or similar).

ccground

Thank you all. It's good to be here. Computer Repair Shops seem to get a bad rap for DR from some of the big guys. But there are a lot of bad "computer repair shops" also. They come and go here. So yes it's an uphill battle most of the time getting the message out that you are a reputable shop and know data recovery. I rely mostly on word of mouth so you have to do a good job. Or you have no business. I would like to have more jobs than I do but I'm working on that. As computer repair itself is no longer as viable a business as it once was. I do phone and tablet screens now also to keep it going. But data recovery is what I'd like to hang my hat on for the forseeable future.
[ref]Sam[/ref], where in Colorado are you located?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
ccground":ms7835sw said:
Computer Repair Shops seem to get a bad rap for DR from some of the big guys. But there are a lot of bad "computer repair shops" also. They come and go here. So yes it's an uphill battle most of the time getting the message out that you are a reputable shop and know data recovery.

I think the bad rap about computer shops doing DR is due to the fact that most companies who've invested into doing data recovery the right way end up dropping the computer repair business completely. There's no way I'm letting my PC-3000 Express system sit idle while I replace a laptop screen for $75. It's just not happening, this equipment needs to earn its keep.

So most computer shops offering data recovery fall into one of two categories:
A. They're new to the business and are often learning while making mistakes on customer drives (we see far too much damage from this)
B. They're completely clueless and running Spinrite as their goto "proprietary data recovery method" (we see too much of this too)

Admittedly, there are a few guys who've actually become proficient at professional data recovery and still kept the computer repair business open and staffed by other employees (real DR guys won't want to be bothered doing virus removals and are usually payed way too well for that).

I'd personally recommend that you DBA and do the data recovery under a different company name just so as to not be confused with the clown across town who's offering a "data recovery service" for $75 which just consists of running Recuva against a failed drive.

I'll always tell people to seek out a dedicated data recovery company just so they don't end up having that clown destroy their drive.